Logo

URGENT Size of hex wrench for 270 drive oil fill plug

am_dew

Advanced Contributor
"I drained the oil out of my 2

"I drained the oil out of my 270 drive and am ready to fill it back up with new oil, but I am missing my hex wrench I've always used to remove the oil filler plug. Anyone know what size hex wrench it requires? Thanks!"

"Never mind...after spending a

"Never mind...after spending a couple hours running back and forth to various hardware and auto parts stores, I finally got the right size... 9mm"

"Bob, it has been raining very

"Bob, it has been raining very hard outside for the whole day, so I din't feel to go to my boat and removing the outdrive cover to check the hex wrench size. But somehow I seem to recall that Volvo outdrives use standard wrenches, not metric.

In any case, I always have two sets of hex wrenches onboard (one metric and one standard) going up to 10 mm (metric) or 3/8" (standard), so I don't care about plug/screw sizes or whether they are standard or metric; I know that, whichever the size, I have it in one of my sets.
biggrin.gif
"

"Thanks anyway, El...I would n

"Thanks anyway, El...I would not have wanted you to get wet!
rain.gif
biggrin.gif
I had my box of boat tools stolen last year when my truck was stolen, and I knew I would eventually come across specialty tools that I would need which were in that stolen tool box...this "not exactly easy to find" 9mm hex wrench being one of them, as I found out yesterday.

On a side note, the oil I drained out of the 270 drive looked almost brand new and no sign of water. On the other hand, the engine oil was very dark. Both were changed last at the same time in late Oct 2005...42 engine hours ago."

Back