Logo

OMC Gasket sealing compound

geturwet

"Going to be putting new head

"Going to be putting new head gasket on my 110 this weekend is Permatex Indian Head Gasket Shellac compound an equivelant? Also can not find a torque pattern for the cyl head cover in the service manuel. Also putting in a new water pump kit, do I need any special shop supplies? thanks"

I believe the new head gasket

I believe the new head gasket says " do not use sealer " Make sure the cylinder head is flat ( it is now warped ) and moisten the gasket with oil.Torque to 240 inch lbs ( in 3 steps ) starting in between the cylinders and working out in a circular pattern.

"Chris,

Ignore the "do

"Chris,

Ignore the "do not use sealer" on the gasket. A thin layer of gasket cement is a good idea, in my opinion a must. It definitely can not hurt.

I place the gasket on a sheet of paper or cardboard and paint the sealer on liberally, then take a putty knife and press it out very thin. Turn it over and repeat.

Do this for all gaskets and you will never have a problem.

Tony"

"The use of the gasket sealer

"The use of the gasket sealer is a clear no-no according to all of the rules. Having said that, I agree with Tony--I always use it. I found that the only correct method for me is to put the sealer on my finger and rub it onto the surface of the gasket. Getting more than a very light smear on it is probably harmful. I find that the finger method gives me better control. PS--don't tell anyone, but I have always used the non-hardening Permatex. Never had a problem."

With one exeption: Never on in

With one exeption: Never on intake/carb gaskets!
The sealer might clog some passages.

"I even use the non-hardening

"I even use the non-hardening permatex on crankcase halves instead of gel-seal. Never had a problem, in fact the only block I ever rebuilt, that had to be taken apart again, because the crankcase halves did not seal well, was the only time I used gel-seal.

We have had quite a few problems with remanufactured powerheads because they do not use sealer. Frequently the head gaskets and exhaust gaskets leak water right from the get go.

So now we remove these gaskets and put some sealer on before installing the powerhead.

Tony"

"Guys, please excuse the hijac

"Guys, please excuse the hijack...

I'm replacing exaust housing gaskets on my E'rude 90, what is the preferred gasket sealer, the OMC compound or something else?

thanks,
Ray"

Back