Logo

2000 Johnson Ocean Pro 90HP V4 Excessive Smoke

W

Warwick Howson

"I have owned the motor since

"I have owned the motor since new & it has always blown an extreme amount of blue smoke on cold start. Experienced associated problems with plugs fouling, motor not firing on all cylinders, carburettors overflowing. Motor has been serviced annually by dealer & they haven't been able to find a problem. Seems like there is oil flowing into the carburettors while the motor is idle. Any help appreciated."

"In a lot of cases this 'p

"In a lot of cases this 'problem' is related to starting procedure. If You keep the key pushed 'in' while crancing, it will smoke a lot! Try next time after pumping up the fuel primer bulb, turn ign 'on' give 3 short push on the key and then crank/start.
Another reason might be the carbs 'leaking' fuel into the engine when tilted. The fuel evaporates, the oil stays. When You start next time the engine is 'overoiled'."

"Warwick,

You should also t

"Warwick,

You should also test the check valves in the oil circulating hoses, and the hoses themselves. If these are not working properly oil can pool, especially at the bottom of the crank. The results can be really bad. I have seen quite a few engines that had to be rebuilt due to the failure of this system.

As for starting, I always advise people to start cranking first, then hit the choke.

Tony"

"Thanks Fellas, I'll let y

"Thanks Fellas, I'll let you know how I go.
Warwick"

My owners manual says to choke

My owners manual says to choke after cranking. Like Tony said. {2000 Johnson Ocean Pro.}

Back