Logo

Prevenative Maintenance J 150

wasjr

"I found this site yesterday a

"I found this site yesterday and found it very helpful. I apologize for the length of the post but want to give background. Last spring I purchased from an individual who was the second owner a 2000 Hurricane with a 2000 150 Johnson (J150VXSS). While I confirmed the motor's history with the original dealer, I knew that the motor had not been serviced by the current owner since he bought the boat in the spring of 2005 and it had set up all winter with no fuel stabalization. At the time, the motor smoked but ran ok. I spoke with two authorized Johnson mechanics prior to my purchase who each recommended that I fill up with fresh gas, shock the fuel system with Johnson Fuel System Cleaner, and run it hard to clean the system, before any work was performed. I did this and the motor ran great all season with no work. I continued to use the Fuel System Cleaner in normal amounts while we put about 50 hrs on the motor. I stablized the fuel in the winter and I am now going to have maintenance work performed. At a minimum I am going to have the impeller and the lower unit fluid replaced. My question relates to what else should I have done. Specifically should I have the water pump replaced and the spark plugs replaced even though the motor runs fine? Also, is there any thing else that you guys would recommend that I do? Thanks in advance for your help.

Also I will add that I was originally looking for this Hurricane model with a 4 stroke. When I located this boat with the Johnson, I spoke to the Johnson mechanics and a friend who had a 90 hp and was told that this was a very solid motor. We have been very pleased with the motor."

"Install a complete water pump

"Install a complete water pump kit, not just the impeller.

The lower unit lube should be changed out at the end of every season.

Run a De-carbonization procedure on the motor.

Install new spark plugs. Put some hours on the new plugs then pull them to do a "reading". If any of them look like the cylinder is running lean, you may need to pull the carbs and run through them. If the plugs all look okay, then I'd say your good to go.

One more thing. While you're at it, run a compression test on each cylinder. This way, you have have some historical readings for comparison if you begin to experience problems later.

KJ"

Back