Logo

Volvo 57 GXi single cylinder filling with water

lake_rat

"2001 21' chriscraft with

"2001 21' chriscraft with a 5.7 Volvo in her. Went to start the motor, and sheered both starter bolts off in the block. After a few hours of very odd angles, was able to remove the remaining bolts out of the block. Talked to a mechanic who informed me the only way this could happen, is water filling a piston. So began winterizing the motor, and when pulling the 2nd to last plug out, water came out. First suggestion was to pull the Exhaust Manifold, which when i did, found that the gasket on both the riser and the one on the block were both in bad shape. Was able to find a new exhaust manidfold on e-bay which i tested with gas to make sure it was ok, and i plan to put it back together this weekend. If replacing gaskets does not solve the problem, am i looking at a possible head gasket or bad block? What would be my next step of troubleshooting? The exhaust manifold looked in good condition, but since i got a new one, i am going to go ahead and install the new one. Anyone looking for a used manifold, I'll have it for sale, just e-mail me back."

"[b] "First suggestion was

" "First suggestion was to pull the Exhaust Manifold, which when i did, found that the gasket on the riser were in bad shape."

I think you've Already Found your Problem.........

Put it Together,+ try it.......

The Odds of a Bad Headgasket are Slim......"

"As for the condition of the g

"As for the condition of the gasket on the riser, when i say bad condition, on the inside part, when i pulled the manifold away from the riser, the gasket was not attached in one spot about 1/2" long. And the bolts holding the manifold to the block were about hand tight, to where when I rocked the riser to get it loose from the manifold, the manifold rocked, but the motor didn't. There was a spot on that gasket that showed exhaust leaking at that gasket too. The boat has less than 200hrs on it, and the manifolds are not original, looking at the bolts and gaskets at least. Any ideas why both manifolds would have been replaced on such an under used boat?
62159.jpg
original manifold or not?

"It's a Volvo Jeff,.... It

"It's a Volvo Jeff,.... It's posted in the 1st sentence of his 1st post......

Chris,..
If this boat was in Saltwater,.....
The Hours on the clock mean Nothing,....
But,... Time with Saltwater in the Manifolds will Still Rot them Out.....
I boat on a Feshwater Sea,.. Manifolds last Forever,....
My Saltwater friends have to Replace their Manifolds,+ Risers every 3 to 5 years,.... Regardless of Run Time......

I'd say whoever did your's the last time,... Did a Poor Job of torquing things together.....

It's the Riser to Manifold Gasket that's Caused your Problem,.....
The Manifold to Block gaskets cause some Annoying Noise,+ a Possible Fire Hazard, But No water Leakage......

I still feel confident that you've Found your Problem......"

"Your exhaust manifolds attach

"Your exhaust manifolds attache to the heads. When you go to tighten the bolts that secure the manifolds to the heads, you must begin with the inner (middle)bolts first and work your way to the ends. Torque these bolts in the same fashion. Remember, the manifolds are cast and you run the risk of warping the manifolds (if operated for long periods) if you tighten these bolts improperly. Finally, spend the extra $ on a quality set of gaskets. Good luck!
BZ"

"Thank you guys for your input

"Thank you guys for your input. I will be putting the manifold back on this weekend, and de-winterizing the motor, hopefully with no water filling any pistons. Will see if this fixes my problem, and post an update Monday."

"You may want to consider coat

"You may want to consider coating the gasket between riser and manifold with Perfect Seal compound or similar (Loctite Gasket Sealant, OMC Gasket Sealing Compound, etc), as well as the bolts. This way you will ensure that no water will return to the cylinders unless you have a perforated manifold/riser, and the bolts will be much easier to remove in the future."

"The dealer i bought the gaske

"The dealer i bought the gaskets from said they were the new style gaskets, which didn't need sealant. The package instructions also noted not to use any sealant. The old gasket was paper, the things he gave me were metal, with an embossed ridge running the middle of the gasket. So i just followed the instructions, and torqued it down to spec. I filled the manifold and riser with gas and it's sitting on my work bench, so if it leaks i should know before i put it back on the motor."

"Well, if the instructions spe

"Well, if the instructions specifically state not to use sealant with the particular type of gasket you are using, then you should follow the instructions. I am used to the ol' fashion fibrous gaskets, and I know that coating them with sealant works very well."

Back