Logo

Volvo penta IO 375hp 81L duoprop

pursuitbuyer

"I am considering buying a 200

"I am considering buying a 2003 boat with the engine described above. It has low hours and the only service work was a valve problem that was repaired. i would appreciate any comments on the reliability, quality and service costs of these engines"

"Bruce, There are no inherent

"Bruce, There are no inherent problems with this package. A survey is a good idea and well worth the investment. Even if this is a private sale your local dealer may be able to offer an aftermarket warranty policy which would protect you from most major mechanical failures.

Good luck
Rick"

Have two of these in my 2003 D

Have two of these in my 2003 Doral 330 SE purchased boat in 2005 with 25 hrs on her had a bad alternator on one engine repaired under warranty and also had blown head gasket out of warranty. Small rent between two cylinders. No cause found. Engine out of warranty by then; however VP paid for 1/2 of the repair.

"Bruce,I put one of these in m

"Bruce,I put one of these in my Hydrofield 27'. Now have 150 hours on it troublefree. Has had an annoying induction noise in it from new but it certainly isn't an issue. The Hydrofield weighs 3.4T and it burns 40litres/hour at 22knt's at 2800 rpm. Excuse the metric but I'm in Queensland Australia and I'm not sure of the conversion to US Gallons. Check for rust stains around the riser to manifold joints as I think this will be the first trouble ahead with mine, although all of my work is in saltwater. (Great Barrier Reef etc., etc.) I replaced an old mercruiser 260 & Alpha drive with mine and I was torn between the 5.7 and the 8.1. Absolutely no comparison. The 8.1 pushes the boat with so much ease at cruise speed and weather permitting if you push the throttle all the way it feels like a 747 heading down the runway for takeoff."

Back