Logo

1974 Evinrude 70hp triumph NO SPARK model number 70473

petergalea

"recently purchased a 70 hp ev

"recently purchased a 70 hp evinrude triumph and discovered it had heaps of compression but no spark, what could this be due to, also how many sets of points should it have, it has 2 sets on it at the moment, is this right???????
Thankyou
regards Peter"

"The 1974 70hp Evinrude/Johnso

"The 1974 70hp Evinrude/Johnson has solid state ignition (no points). What is the model number of that engine?

Check ignition.... Remove spark plugs, disconnect the large RED electrical connector at the engine, Crank the engine using a small jumper from the battery side of the solenoid to the small 3/8" hex nut (on the solenoid) that energizes the solenoid. If you now have spark, the problem is most likely a intermitent shorted ignition switch.

Let us know that model number and what you find in the above test.

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc"

"model number is 70473M
seria

"model number is 70473M
serial number is 104001
it is a 1974 evinrude triumph
will do the test today and let you know how it goes.
reason I asked how many points it has is because when i pulled the fly wheel off, it had two sets of points on a three cylinder and i find that weird. unless the person who had it before me tampered with it.
thankyou
regards Peter"

"That model number does indica

"That model number does indicate a 1974 70hp Evinrude, however the 3 cylinder Evinrude/Johnson
has not incorporated ignition points since the 1971 60hp model.

Starting in 1972, the timer base was strictly solid state with a sensor instead of points.

Bottom line.... someone has either performed quite a conversion or installed a older powerhead.

Does that engine have a fairly large square powerpack on the starboard aide to the rear of the powerhead with a tight group wires leading out the top of it? If so, the test I stated previously does not apply."

"Peter, the reason for the 2 s

"Peter, the reason for the 2 sets of points on a 3 cylinder is to prevent point float. Remember, max rpm on these motors is somewhere around 4500 to 5500rpm. One set of points just won't cut it. Also, if you clean these points don't use anything more abrasive then emery paper. The sets you have are most likely out of production and you want to make them last as long as possible."

"Hi Joe,
thanks for getting b

"Hi Joe,
thanks for getting back so quick, the motor in question does have a fairly large square powerpack on the starboard side to the rear ofd the power head just as you described, so what test would be required, now i am completely stumped.

thanks
Peter"

"Stumped.... yes, that setup d

"Stumped.... yes, that setup does make one wonder. However, here's a test for that type ignition which is called Battery Capacitance Discharge ignition. It was incorporated on the 3 cylinder model from 1968 to 1971. I'm also including other information that may be usefull.

Note that this type ignition was also used on some 1972 models BUT did not include the 3 cylinder model. I wanted to state that so as to avoid confusing you.

(Point Setting Of Battery Capacitance Discharge
( Ignition Models - 1968 thru 1972)
(Joe Reeves)

The points must be set to .010 but no wider than .010..... BUT in some instances due to a possible slight inaccurately machined crankshaft lobe or a slight offset of one set of points, a setting slightly less than .010 would be required as follows.

Whether the crankshaft has two or three lobes, when setting the points, check the setting of the points on each individual lobe by rotating the crankshaft by hand.

You may find that setting one set of points to .010 on one lobe, then turning the crankshaft to the next lobe, the gap measures .011 or .012 (too wide). This is where you would need to close that gap down to the required .010. A gap too wide can result in a ignition miss when throttle is applied.

Bottom line, pertaining to the point setting at the various lobe locations____ .010, .010, .009, is okay____ .010, .010, .011 is not!

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store
(Voltage Drop To Battery Capacitance Discharge)
( Pulsepack When Electric Starter Is Engaged)
(J. Reeves)

On the older Battery Capacitance Discharge ignition systems (1968-1972), the electric starter reaches a point, even with a top notch battery, whereas the starter will draw excess voltage/current/whatever which results in a voltage drop to the pulsepack. The cure is to purchase a diode which is capable of handling 12 volts and installing it between the starter terminal of the starter solenoid (NOT the battery cable terminal) and the wiring terminal that supplies voltage to the pulsepack.

The diode must be installed so that the current flows from the starter terminal of the solenoid to the pulsepack... NOT vice versa. When that diode is installed in this manner, when the key is turned to the start position, the voltage that is applied to the starter is also applied directly to the pulsepack via the diode effectively eliminating the voltage drop and energerizing the pulsepack with the required voltage needed for its proper operation.

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store
(Battery Capacitance Dischage Powerpack Test)
Various OMC Engines - 1968 to 1972)
(J. Reeves)

Purchase a small 12v bulb at your local automotive parts store (the 12v bulb is to look like a flashlight bulb, not a headlight bulb). Solder two wires to that bulb, one to the side of the bulb (ground), and the other to the positive point. You might use a bulb of a somewhat lower voltage to obtain a brighter glow... just a suggestion.

Remove the spark plugs. With the key in the on position, make sure that you have 12v going to the pack at the terminal block (purple wire). Now, connect the ground wire from the bulb to any powerhead ground. Connect the wire from the positive point of that bulb to the powerpack wire that is connected to the coil wire on the terminal board (blue wire).

Crank the engine and observe that bulb closely (CLOSELY!). If that bulb glows even the slightest bit, the powerpack is okay. It may be a very dim glow... just so it glows! If it doesn't glow, the pack has failed.

Keep in mind, that type powerpack (Battery Capacitance Discharge) demands a top notch battery of at least 70 amp hours. Any less will, in time, cause powerpack failure.

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

"Hi Doug,
thanks for that, s

"Hi Doug,
thanks for that, so why is it i havent got any spark at the plugs, any ideas or could it be the stator???????
regards
Peter
thanks for your response."

"Hi Joe,
thanks for the light

"Hi Joe,
thanks for the light reading hahaha
will attempt this and get back to you.
at the moment i have to go and work some horses will play with the motor after that.
regards and gratitude
Peter"

"Peter, what Joe said. And if

"Peter, what Joe said. And if you end up needing a power pack, you might have to sell a horse. Those packs are a little difficult to find and they are not cheap. Good luck!"

"Hey Doug if it comes down to

"Hey Doug if it comes down to that, f the motor ill take the horse anyday he wins me money LOL.
Motor costs money ALL THE TIME. But if i can fix it cheap enough then ill keep both the motor and the horse.
regards Peter"

Back