Logo

Chrysler Crown M47S

trapcurtis

"I have a chrysler crown M47S

"I have a chrysler crown M47S with the following numbers on the ID plate. 0102 A33020. Any one know what year this is, and where I can get some parts? Also, what are the best spark plugs to buy for this? Thank!"

"I am definitely confused. I h

"I am definitely confused. I have found the "shelf" on the block where the number should be stamped. Yet, the only thing stamped there is an "s". There is the number 33020 stamped on the id plate on the rear mount starboard side. Could it be that the Crown Special was manufactured past this series?:

M-47-S
Starting serial number M47S-20001
Ending serial number M47S-24400
from 4/20/55 to 2/27/57
135HP @ 3600
265 CID

also I have seen a classified ad with this number: M47S-3 R 30859S. This person claims this is out of a 1957 boat.

Is it possible that there were more crown specials made after 2/1957? and that mine and the one above may be from a later production run? 33020 may be a later date than the above referenced classified engine? I do find a casting on the gear that looks like a date of 11/2/1957.

Any ideas would be appreciated."

"By the way, since I seem to b

"By the way, since I seem to be talking to myself on this message board, is this message more suited to the "oldmarinengine" inboard forum?"

My Guess as to Why you're

My Guess as to Why you're talking to yourself is;....
None of Us Know any of the Answers to your Questions..............

"Tracy,

The M47S-3 is a dif

"Tracy,

The M47S-3 is a different series than the M47S.

M47S-3
1st Serial number: M47S-3-30001
Last serial number: unknown
Beginning production date: 2/14/57
Ending production date: unknown

I haven't checked the manual, but Champion shows the plugs to be the RJ8C."

Thanks for the information And

Thanks for the information Andrew.

Im thinking that the engine I have may be an M47S-3. Do you know if the s-3 had sodium cooled valves? Also are there any characteristic differences that I can use to identify and verify? Im assuming it is a 12volt.

I will hit the link to buy a manual but I want to buy the right one for the right engine.

Do you have the spec on that engine?

"The M-47S-3 exhaust valves ar

"The M-47S-3 exhaust valves are: (Sodium cooled) Stellite Faced.

I don't know offhand what the differences are.

We do have a maintenance manual that covers the M-46-4, M-46S-3, M-47-4, M-47S-3, and M-47S-4. It is not listed on the Chrysler manuals page, but you could order the M-46S manual and make a note in the comments field that you need the manual for the M-47S-3 (if that is what you want)."

Originally the motor called fo

Originally the motor called for Champion J-7C plugs. Then Champion did away with the J-7C. Closest plug is the J-8C. Lil hotter. Works fine. Used them for years. The "C" implies copper core. If you want a resistor plug use the RJ-8C to protect against radio interfearance. I never found it necessary to use the resistor plug.

Back