Logo

66 Ford 427 300hp

66roamer

"Hello,

I'm wondering

"Hello,

I'm wondering if you could help me.

I have a 1966 50' Chris-Craft Romer with twin 427 Ford engines. I'm picking up a knocking sound resonating from the hull when the port engine is running "and the trans. are in neutral". It sounds like I might have a loose bearing cap on a piston. And I'm curious, if I can access the crank shaft from the panel located on the side of the oil pan. I am assuming this is an oil cooling unit, which when removed might offer an enough room to work with. Is this correct?
I would appreciate any assistance you might have to offer. This boat is in new to me, but I have already replaced transmissions and would like very much if I did not have to remove and rebuild these engines. They run beautifully with approximately 1300 hrs each.

Thank you again for any help you may offer."

"..." It sounds like I mig

"..." It sounds like I might have a loose bearing cap on a piston"

You've got to kidding! If so, that sucker would have blown skyhigh long ago. I vote for a bad coupler between the engine and trans.

Jeff"

"darryl
you know, I thought

"darryl
you know, I thought that might be a concern so before replacing the transmissions I inspected the couple plate for damage in the spring seats.unless there is another concerned that I am not aware of, the spring seats looked very good. The noise I'm getting is one knock per revolution of the camshaft and it's sound fluctuates as if in a oil bath. sound also decreases in volume as the RPMs increase. Any thoughts"

"Hey Darryl,
I've run a

"Hey Darryl,
I've run alot of 352/390 engines in cars and trucks and the FE engine(as these and the 427 are classified) is a very tough engine and can go years with a knock and not only last, but not even get worse. It sounds very much like a rod knock to me, and being that the 427 is a very valuable & rare engine to replace, I wouldn't take a chance with it."

Back