Logo

AQ140 Heat Exchanger Cover and Repair Needed

lbrannon2007

"My exchanger cover seat that

"My exchanger cover seat that houses the plastic spacers is corroded and does not seal properly, and links raw water into the bilge. I want to replace the cover, and I am realistic enough to know that I will probaly have to buy a used exchanger just to get the part a I need. I also have idling problems. Prior to my exchanger problems, my engine would not idle at 900rpm (per Selco) and would surge uncontrollably when started. Mind you, I have to pump the throttle just to start the thing, but once started the RPMs would race up to 3000rpm + which required me to throttle down quickly, not to idle, but just enough to keep the engine from red lining, while contuning to race up and down. Help!! PS I am running twin sidedraft dragons."

"Could you upload a picture of

"Could you upload a picture of the corroded area in the exchanger?

Regarding bad idling, you may want to make sure that both your carbs are in good shape and properly synchronized (I suggest you use a uni-sync tool to verify this), and that the idle mixture is set correctly. Also, verify that there are no vacuum leaks either in the carbs or in the intake manifold. Check that the ignition wires are in good condition and that the terminals to the ignition coil are not corroded/loose. And if you haven't doen so by now, consider removing points and condenser from your distributor and replacing them with a Pertronix electronic ignition kit (the kit for your engine distributor is #2842). You will be amazed of the results, which include easy start and smooth and steady idle."

No I don't have that capab

No I don't have that capability but I can offer more information. The sea water strainer case is srewed down on top of the this area. The plastic spacers I mention go inside this area and around the top of the exchanger to create a seal.

"I believe I know which area y

"I believe I know which area you are talking about, which is the area in the cover where the sea strainer is fitted. The reason I was asking you for a picture is because, depending on how severe is the wastage, you could probably seal the area with a silicone compound, or even rebuild and seal the corroded surface with an epoxy compound like "Devcon Magic Bond Epoxy Stick"

http://www.devcon.com/techinfo/116.pdf

or "J-B weld"

http://jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php

or JB "Marine Weld":

http://jbweld.net/products/marine.php

61928.jpg
"

I have an old 125 thats going

I have an old 125 thats going to the scrapyard soon. I believe the heat ex. is the same. e-mail if You need anything. I'm talking cheap. rather see it go to use than junkyard.

"Thanks for all the help and s

"Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I am not really comfortable with JBweld so I bit the bullet and paid for a new cover and the assorted parts to complete the replacement job. I must say that I am please with the price and service I received with dougrussell.com. I live in San Diego, Ca. and will order all of my parts this way from now on. The shipping price is worth the detail parts lay out provided when buying a part."

Back