Logo

Mercruiser specs For a 1977 37 470 mercruiser

I checked and the motor is a 3

I checked and the motor is a 3.7 (470).I also ordered a service manual. I was told this is a 120 hp engine. But after searching online I still cant find out the hp. and torch specs. Can anyone help? Thanks!!

Gentlemen: isn't the olde

Gentlemen: isn't the older 1977 model 470 w/a 2BBL carb rated @ 170 HP and w/a 4BBL carb rated @ 185?

Guy

"I believe the hp #s went up,&

"I believe the hp #s went up,+ down over the few years those 470 were in production,......
And I think Guy is in the Right Range for both the 2bbl.,+ the 4bbl. #s......

The 120hp was built on the GM 153cid, 2.5l I believe......"

BONDO:
Did some of the 470 e

BONDO:
Did some of the 470 engines in the early 1980s use a FORD big block head? That just sticks in the back of my mind for some reason. Guy

"Ayuh,..... That's what ma

"Ayuh,..... That's what makes the 470, the 470.....

It's an Aluminun blocked, cast iron sleeved, Mercruiser designed motor, with a Ford 460 cast iron Head on it.......

Mercruiser,+ Ford got together to build a "Better Idea",....
That Wasn't..............
Thank God it only took them a few Years to figure That Out....."

A 1986 boat i owned once with

A 1986 boat i owned once with a 470 [purchased with a thrown rod i might add] was a 2bbl motor rated at some 160 hp. Aluminum block and iron Ford 460 head. Great motor... for boiling water.

Seriously... once rebuilt i had no trouble in the 3 years i owned it.

"Dave, the 470 was 170 H.P. to

"Dave, the 470 was 170 H.P. torque specs will be in the manual. can't remember Your original question, as You started a new post. try to stay with this one. new additions are automatically e-mailed to posters so they can keep up. help is here. whats the problem?"

Back