Logo

Carb Float Setting

rkersh409

Contributing Member
"As many of you may have read

"As many of you may have read my other post, I rebuilt my carbs last weekend. And had gas dripping out of the brass bb on the float bowl. But thanks to jwbmarine I was able to fix that problem with his little trick.

Now I have another problem. When I prim the bulb it never gets real hard. And I can continue to squeeze the bulb. And of coarse the two bottom carbs has gas coming out the throats. I pulled them off and adjusted the float again according to the service manual. But still not shutting the gas flow off. Is there something I am over looking? I have the float parallel with the bottom of the carb when held upside down. Should I adjust the float so its higher then parallel when held upside down?

Thanks,
Robert"

"howdy,..upside down...adjust

"howdy,..upside down...adjust exactly level.....and,...no gasket on plastic carbs under seat for needle."

"Jwbmarine, I have it level as

"Jwbmarine, I have it level as I can get it. With no gasket under the seat. Could it be a bad seat and needle?

Thanks,
Robert"

"Robert.... You would have bee

"Robert.... You would have been better off continuing on with your previous post, or at least re-entering what engine you're speaking of.

However, if the following doesn't correct this carburetor flooding problem, you may have faulty float(s) or float needle valve(s).

(Carburetor Float Setting)
(J. Reeves)

With the carburetor body held upside down, the float being viewed from the side, adjust the float so that the free end of the float (the end opposite the hinge pin) is ever so slightly higher (just ever so slightly off level) than the other end. And when viewed from the end, make sure it is not cocked.

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

Yes I used new carb kits with

Yes I used new carb kits with new seats and needles. What do you mean by float levels? Do you mean take them apart and check to make sure the float is level when upside down?

"yep....also,make sure nothing

"yep....also,make sure nothing is in seat area(dibris) where needle fits...make sure nothing is wrong w/floats,esp hinge pin area.make sure your seat is firmly tightened,but be extremely careful,its easy to crack those bowls...it IS poss to be leaking from where seat screws in due to not tightened or other prob's."

"Have you by chance,....gotten

"Have you by chance,....gotten the wrong carb kit for it?...ck for hairline cracks around the threaded hole where the seat screws in,maybe they ARE cracked."

"Thanks jwbmarine I will give

"Thanks jwbmarine I will give it a good look tonight when I get home. I am pretty sure they are the correct kit's. Everything else matched up perfect. And really sure the seat isnt loose. I screwed them in pretty good.

When I was rebuilding them I noticed that all the floats were higher then level when upside down. Maybe the guy I bought the boat from had them that way for a reason?

With the bulb never getting hard could the other carbs be leaking into the throttle body, or other places without me knowing? Because when priming I can continualy her gas flowing somewhere.

Thanks,
Robert"

"Robert,

I am not sure exac

"Robert,

I am not sure exactly which model we are talking about, but in addition to the suggestions above, I would add that in some cases fuel could be getting into the crankcase through a broken diaphragm in the fuel pump. This can cause the lower carbs to appear to be flooding, when in reality the fuel is backing out through the intake manifold.

Topny"

"Tony, its a 1995 Evinrude 175

"Tony, its a 1995 Evinrude 175hp. I had a leaking VRO pump last year, where it was leaking into the pulse valve. Put a kit into the VRO and it solved that problem. I keep checking to make sure its not doing it anymore. So far so good."

"Last night I pulled both bott

"Last night I pulled both bottom carbs off and adjusted the floats just slightly higher then level when upside down. Let me say trying to reuse the float bowl gasket was a chore. Put them back on and tested, no leaking. But one of the top carbs started dripping gas out the throat. So I pulled it off and readjusted the float on it. Put it back on and now all six carbs are leaking. Carbs that was working fine are now pouring gas out. What is going on? I have rebuilt lots of other carbs and never had this much trouble. Think it might be time to haul it to a mechanic. Because I don't know if I have fixed the original problem of bogging down and dieing when trying to take off."

"Robert,

A dab of type M a

"Robert,

A dab of type M adhesive here and there will make it easier to keep those gaskets in place.

This just seems so unlikely that I feel that there is something very basic that is not right. Did the carb kits come with new floats?

It is always a good idea to test the carb before replacing it. Simply connect a fuel hose to the carb and pump it up. Then you know if the valve is sealing.

Have you checked your fuel carefully? Maybe it is contaminated with something.

Tony"

"Thanks Tony, I think I fixed

"Thanks Tony, I think I fixed my problem. I think I was squeezing the bulb too hard after it was getting firm. I think the sealing of the brass plug in the bowl fixed the bogging problem as well. Even thought I didn't get a chance to take it out this weekend. But while on the water hose I am now running 1300 rpm's at idle. Where as before I was running 1100 and kinda ruff. Also there is no smoke compared to before. Kept feeling the water to make sure it wasn't getting hot. And it is staying primed over night instead of the 20 minutes and the bowls would be empty.

Tony my carbs do not have a way to hook them up to a fuel line. I have a fuel rail that goes into the throttle body. And it runs gas through a small hole into the bowls.

Thanks again guys for all the help. Hopefully next weekend I can take it out to make sure the problem is fixed."

"Robert,

Sounds good. You c

"Robert,

Sounds good. You can test those carbs off the engine. I'm sure you can figure out a few different ways to do it.

Tony"

Back