Logo

Aq140a

kiwiguy

i have a aq140a that has had a

i have a aq140a that has had a valve grind rings bearings runs great but blows raw oil out of rocket cover breather have put a hose from it to a bottle in the back of boat and last week went out fishing it blew 1.5 litres into bottle in about 15 minutes doing 4500 revs. so tipped it back in carried on heading out for another 20 minutes and about 40 minutes heading home keeping revs under 4000 and didnt blow a drop as put a clean bottle on. disconnected my electric oil pressure gauge today and hooked upa manual one shows 60psi at 1500 revs 80psi at 4000 revs but gauge only goes to 80psi. engine did this before rings and bearings that is why they were done did a compression test today 147 150 155 150 are they suppose to have a valve on breather as mine dosent it juss suppose to blow into air cleaner ??? any ideas would be appreciated thanks. oil pump was also checked when engine was apart and seemed to work well. is there a relief valve in oil cooler?

"Your engine is not supposed t

"Your engine is not supposed to have a pcv valve in the head cover vent, and also does not have a relief valve in the oil cooler.

The symptoms you are describing make me think of several possible causes. One could be that somehow the oil drain holes in the cylinder head could be partially obstructed, say with a piece of rag or paper towell left over from the overhaul. Another could be that your valve guides are worn and the exhaust gas back pressure at higher RPM could be blowing the oil through the vent. And the third one is that you may have re-ringed an engine block with worn cylinder walls, which would give you reasonable compression but also severe blowby at higher load. Did you measure the cylinders with a micrometer prior to re-ringing to make sure that they were within specs and did not need reboring and larger size pistons? Also, did you hone/deglaze the cylinder walls prior to re-ringing to ensure that the new piston rings would seat? How many hours do you have on the engine since rebuilt? It could very well be that you are experiencing blow-by because the rings have not run enough hours to seat properly. And finally, do not use synthetic oil, or you will have trouble making the piston rings to seat."

"to me it sounds like a typica

"to me it sounds like a typical combination of poorly performed honing/de-glazing and use of cromed piston rings. Add to it a high grade (synthetic) oil, and You will be 'recycling' oil for a long time before the rings set. I would call it a clear case of 'Warranty' to whoever did the job."

thanks guys. engine was done a

thanks guys. engine was done at a engine rebuilder not a marine or car workshop so would presume they measure everything.i know they honed it but dont know what rings were put in but they werent genuine volvo ones due to cost. wasnt being a meiser but was told the ones they used were just as good.probhably only done 10-15 hours since freshen up but have been using synthetic oil. will check oil drains in cylinder head as never thought of that. does my oil pressure sound ok or is it on the high side also what oil should i try and any suggestions on what i could try to bed rings in. really frustrated with this but have already spent too much on it to repower now.

"Some engine manufacturer &#40

"Some engine manufacturer (BMW) use a special 'break in oil', which basically is a mineral oil without any additives when starting the engines at the factory. Some leaves it in for the first 5000Km, some does most of the break in at the factoriy test benches and then replace it with high grade synthetic. Personally I'm not too much in favor of synthetic oils in boat engines due to the humidity."

hi have checked hour meter and

hi have checked hour meter and has done about 9 hrs since rebuild .should i change oil now? also what should oil pressure be? thanks for your input

"Gentlemen, I have a pair of A

"Gentlemen, I have a pair of AQ140's. The two small springs in the distributors have fallen off and appear to be worn out. Unavailable parts from Volvo as well as the complete distributor is unavailable. Is there an electronic distributor set up for the four cylinder aq 140 engine? thanks ron"

"Ron, you may consider taking

"Ron, you may consider taking the distributor to a professional shop where they can install the correct springs and also test the distributor to verify that the advance curve is what it should be.

If you are looking for a used distributor,this one will fit your engine:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volvo-Penta-AQ125A-270-Distrubutor-NR_W0QQcmdZVie wItemQQcategoryZ124104QQihZ010QQitemZ200086489708QQrdZ1

Regarding an electronic distributor, check this thread:

http://www.marineengine.com/discus/messages/12487/25056.shtml"

Back