Logo

Restoring a Volvo Penta BB70Aquamatic 100

fischerj

"Hello:
I currently restoring

"Hello:
I currently restoring a really cool, rare, wooden weekender(see borumboats.com click on viewers boats)that has a Volvo Penta BB70/ Aquamatic outdrive. The motor has been recently rebuilt but I am going to need some parts: ignition, carb rebuild kit ect. I know that it is a marine version of Volvo's popular 4 cyl and I can use many auto parts? What is the motor's name in auto language? Will parts from the late 60s/70s work? I really need a manual, will Sealoc's that begins in 68 be usable for my engine?. How about the out drive interms of parts availability? Everything sat for about 35 years but has very low hours and is in excellent shape. Thanks a boat load for reading this!
Jonathan"

"Jonathan,

It just sent you

"Jonathan,

It just sent you an email, we do sell manuals for the AQ80 engine unit and the AQ100 drive. We don't have them up on the site, but they are available from us.

I think the AQ80 was built on the B16B block (correct me if I am wrong anyone), but you must be very careful using automotive ignition and electrical parts. The environment is different and additional hazards exist on a boat. Search this board for numerous discussions about automotive parts."

there are two aq 100 legs.

there are two aq 100 legs.

one the -100
other is -100b
if it any of the above i might be able to help
am just puutting mine together.

"volvo pdf file on its way to

"volvo pdf file on its way to you.
no| not many parts available from volvo for the leg
ive pulled mine appart and whent to industrial bearing houses they helped out.
anodes still on e bay
so are the bellows $110 aust
some parts ive had to make myself on the lathe.
saw 2 legs on ebay aus, they whent for $200 aust dollars good to see some parts floating around just have to grab what you can get.
i was lucy found an old volvo car book similar to the boat motor, that was a start.
got the rest of the service books from the net.
so good luck, my you float soon."

"Hello Rainer:
well my good m

"Hello Rainer:
well my good man, I just happen to have some
original factory lit, a pamphlet with a side view drawing(including measurements,specs) of the motor and outdrive(leg?) mounted on a boat. I could scan it and email it to you. I could also brave the New England elements(its about 20F now and dropping) and take some digital photos and send them along. What would you like? By the way, thank you for the posting and info. Pretty cool boat you got there. You should be out on the Great Barrier Reef in no time. How is your motor? Is it a Volvo B16? I'm thinking of installing a Fresh water cooling system. Keep me informed and let me know how I can help.
Jonathan Fischer"

"in responce to your email i&#

"in responce to your email i'll take any info you have got and care to supply , whatever is convinient.
the volvo item you mentioned was it from the web site,similar to what i sent you. if not i would love to have it.
i try to collect as much as posible before it disapears,

12-19-06 08:00 am
12-10-06 08:56 am
12-30-06 07:06 am
these are some posts ive had.on the volvo penta site
i have the b 20 block single carb
with the 100 leg it has the double cone for gear changing and clutch. it also has the oil pump in it, in the leg. it has cv joints for the drive
the 100B has universal joints and no oil pump in the leg but the 100b has more oil in it. than the 100 leg
also in my collection is the swedish parts list for both legs.
and the update buliton that was published back then for the service departments.

any way if you need something just ask."

"The BB 70 is the same as the

"The BB 70 is the same as the Volvo B16 B. It is a 1.6 Liter engine with a 98 cubic inch displacement. I own one of these engines as well. Most of the parts should be the same as the B16B. The manifold however is different. Also as another member stated to be careful when doing the ignition and electrical system. YOu wouldn't want your boat to catch fire. You said thatthe motor was recently rebult. I am trying to rebuild my BB 70 as well. Do you have any idea as where to find a rebuild kit ( Pistons, Rings, Cams and such) for the BB 70. Thanks"

"i have a 1961 bb70 volvo pent

"i have a 1961 bb70 volvo penta, cannot find points or other parts for distributor tried finding elect. ignition with no luck.Does anybody know if a distributor out of a aq130 or any other would work? thanx"

to stu stumbles did you send a

to stu stumbles did you send an email to rainer
re the bb 70 i think the questions ask are covered above
only there was no return address attacked to the email so if it was you i will respond in this forum ta rainer

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
82084.jpg

Anywho I posted above this as douglas so I decided to register as I may be able to help around here.
But this is the carb I am looking for and also I am going to dig out part numbers for this motor for cap condensor and coil and points."

"Hi,
I just got hold of a boa

"Hi,
I just got hold of a boat with the AQ80 in it. I just got done tuning it up when I found the oil cooler assembly got a leak and started shooting oil into the water, just glad I noticed when looking behind the boat. Anyone know how I can fix one of these or how to replace it."

"hi tried 123 ignition for diz

"hi tried 123 ignition for dizzy .ive just orderd one for b18 running aq 100.if good as demo will be well pleased and couldnt be simpler to fit.remove old dizzy replace with new,and chuck old in drawer,no more sticking weights worn springs burnt points ect.cost £200 but if you bear inmind what it costs for old parts and shipping thats if you can get them, well worth money for piece of mind,especialy when stuck miles out at sea."

Back