Logo

Pertronix Ignition

R

Rob J

"Hello,

I am in the proces

"Hello,

I am in the process of purchasing a Pertronix system for my four cylinder Volvo. Have heard lots of good things about them on this site. I also need to replace the coil and ballast resistor. Can I buy a 3 ohm coil and not use the resistor, or should I just buy the 1.5 ohm replacement coil and a new ballast resistor??

Thanx"

I'd ditch the ballast resi

I'd ditch the ballast resistor and go with a "normal" coil. Be sure the wiring is set up right and you'll never be sorry. Twice I got stuck with dead ballast resistors!

Jeff

What type of coil should I buy

What type of coil should I buy to eliminate the ballast resistor?

I bought a Pertronix Flame Thr

I bought a Pertronix Flame Thrower coil #40611 (3 ohm) to replace my old 3 ohm OEM coil on my AQ130C and it works great.

"Hello Bob,

And with that c

"Hello Bob,

And with that coil you no longer use a ballast resistor?"

"Hi Rob,

My setup before th

"Hi Rob,

My setup before the new coil did not have a ballast resistor so it was a simple coil swap for me.

I'm not sure if you can just bypass the ballast resistor and use a 3 ohm coil or not. I would think so, but I will leave that question for the experts here."

"Rob, this issue has been disc

"Rob, this issue has been discussed before. If you use a 1.5 ohm coil, you should use a ballast resistor; and if you use a 3 ohm coil (internal resistor) you don't use anymore a ballast resistor. The rationale for the ballast resistor with distributors using points was to bypass the resistor while starting the engine, so that the coil gets the full battery voltage and provides stronger spark. However, if you give that coil full voltage on a continuous basis (that is, by removing the ballast resistor altogether), you will fry it in no time.

If you are upgrading to a Pertronix electronic ignition kit, use a 3 ohm coil and get rid of your current ballast resistor.

By the way, has someone registerd my nick? I have tried to post as "El Pescador", but no joy."

"The main reason for a ballast

"The main reason for a ballast resistor is that points can't handle the higher voltage for very long and since the voltage will always drop during cranking, the bypass is so the coil will develop enough voltage to produce a strong spark while cranking. Going through the resistor at that time will usually prevent intense spark."

"El pescador,

Send me an em

"El pescador,

Send me an email about registration. There is a new registration as El_pescador."

"i'm having trouble with m

"i'm having trouble with my aq151b occasionally getting hot, it has a 290 outdrive. it seems like it's not keeping enough water in the (heat exchanger). is there an impeller in the lower unit that feeds the motor with water?? i'm new at this, so PLEASE keep any ideas you may have simple.. i don't see any leaks, and (i think) it has a new thermostat and water pump impeller...

thank you......."

Back