Logo

How to get boat off trailer

D

david wesley

"if i were going to work on my

"if i were going to work on my trailer and replace the bunks how would you go about removing the boat from the trailer at home to access and completely work on the trailer and maybe paint it all... i am an hour away from any boat landings and no local ponds, what does one do in order to safely remove the boat and sturdy it on the ground or on something and how do you then load it back on the trailer, ???"

"David: contact a local marin

"David: contact a local marina with SECURE rack storage and see if they can store it while you work on the trailer. Rental rate should be reasonable. If you have a friend that has a trailer he doesn't use since his boat is moored in the water, pay him a small fee to use it. Guy"

David: I don't know if thi

David: I don't know if this might work for you.
If you can take everything with you to a public boat lanch. Put boat in water. Find a shoreline close to Boat trailer parking lot. Anchor on shorline. Or public Boat Dock. So you can keep an eye on your boat.
Or have some one just go boating for a few hours. Fix your trailer. Dont spray paint. Brush it on with a fast drying paint.
Don't want any paint on ground or other property. Do it on a Hot day.
I plan on doing this my self to replace the Keel rollers on my trailer. Any painting I can just Mask off with paper and do it in my driveway with boat in trailer.
And yes I would get there very early. No one there yet.
I have seen others work on there trailer this way. One time I seen a guy paint it in the morning. Left it drying in the parking lot. And went out fishing all day. By the time he came back paint was dry. Put boat on trailer went home.
If your not bothering anyone whats the problem?
This is the cheapest way I know of. Just plan it out first. Bring everything you will need and work FAST.

"James: Great idea! That&#39

"James: Great idea! That's what I'm going to do!

David: Clean off the tar and grease with prep solve (expensive)or cheap mineral spirits, scuff the paint w/3M pads and prep & prime all rust, etc. ahead of time. Make sure the bunk bolts are not siezed before you go. Use a quality oil based enamel. Your done! Guy"

"I removed my 21 Sea Ray cuddy

"I removed my 21 Sea Ray cuddy in the following manner. Lower the bow all the way to the ground with the trailer jack, stern will rise. Place chocks under each side under the stern. Crank the jack back up, the stern hits the chocks and is raised up off the trailer. Raise the bow higher, you may use an additional jack under the keel to get enough height. place a chock under the keel in the front. then lower the trailer. The boat should totally be off the trailer!! Pull it forward very very slowly and place additional chocks under the keel and on the sides under the chine as you move forward. You may want to keep moving a floor jack to miss crossmembers on the trailer and keep putting additional chocks as you slowly pull forward. Eventually the boat is off and the trailer is out. To put it back on, just do these steps in reverse order. Be very careful and go slow. Be sure you are on a solid concrete surface and use concrete blocks, shim boards and carpet to protect the hull. I have always pulled the trailer by hand instead of hooked to a tow vehicle so as to have good sight and feel of what is happening. I've seen larger boats than mine removed in this manner!!!

Hope this helps you"

"I did very nearly the same th

"I did very nearly the same thing as Ken, but I left the trailer in place and just removed the bunks to get enough room to completely scrape and repaint the hull. I used large blocks of scrap wood (advantage to living near a shipyard!) Railroad ties would probably do the trick too."

"I don't think I would use

"I don't think I would use RR ties because of the creosote. A lot of marinas use big blocks of foam to rest boats on. either while storing them over the winter or during trailer repairs. If this is something that may end up being a regular occurrence (lifting boats for others), Northern Industries has an A frame lift on their site for about $900- that, a chain hoist and a choker will get it done. If you know a lot of people with boats, believe me, it'll get its share of use. The guy with all of the tools is everybody's friend, whether he want that or not."

"The Ken Browning method is th

"The Ken Browning method is the way to go... but this can be dangerous. I've done a 28' that way. Helps to have a floor jack and lots of scrap 6x6's and a set of boat screw jacks. I chained the boat to a fixed object and gingerly pulled the trailer, blocked/jacked and pulled a litte more. If things are really tight getting the trailer out, you can let the air out of the tires to get another couple inches. BE CAREFUL!!"

Im with Ya Guy G.
To much wor

Im with Ya Guy G.
To much work all that jacking and shoring.
Plus if you can get the Wife and kids to paint it for ya. Just tell them you will be back in a few hours. Then go fishing.
Ok That might not be a good idea treating the wife that way. Just a thought.

James:

I couldn't get

James:

I couldn't get away with it. They all fish and would tell me to fly a kite--wife can fish alot better than me; so can my sons. I'm stuck! Guy

"Speaking of getting the wife

"Speaking of getting the wife and kids working...
61677.jpg
"

Way to go Troy!
Ya Guy G. My

Way to go Troy!
Ya Guy G. My wife would tell me fxxx You.
Then I would be living in Hell for a very long time. I gess I will have to do the work and they go fishing.

this sounds very complicated a

this sounds very complicated and easy to mess up. don't know how i would fix it if it fell off the blocks so i think i will wait till i can keep the boat somewhere in a pond or something when the ground gets hard. thanks all

Troy: Nice boat. Are you wor

Troy: Nice boat. Are you working on it or behind the camera? I would have to be holding a gun on one son. The other would be working with me. They are night and day about work.

James: I think I married your wife's twin!

Guy

"That's me in front with t

"That's me in front with the pneumatic sander... the wife took the picture. She wanted a record of the sweat-shop, slave labor, I was 'forcing' her and the kids to do.
We all (myself, wife and two sons) pitched in and got her done. That was quite a project. I'd be scared to think of what a boat yard would have charged to strip the old paint, apply 10mils of epoxy barrier coat, then 2 coats of anti-fouling!"

Back