Logo

1996 Johnson 115 ocean runner check engine light

J

Jeff Z.

"check engine alarm and light

"check engine alarm and light comes on at random times, does not seem to follow pattern or rpm's. comes on while in gear and idiling maybe more than other times. Audible alarm goes out after about 10-15 seconds then light goes out as well. Engine runs good no problems at all? maybe once or twice an outing. Ive read fuel restiction? What should I check first?"

u do not have a fuel restricti

u do not have a fuel restriction/sender on this engine..do u still have the VRO hooked up and operational?

"no it was professionally remo

"no it was professionally removed by the dealer, Im mixing the gas and oil now 50:1. Dont really know the history. It was a consignment Hewes 18 redfisher at the original dealer, unfortunatly they switched to yamaha's about 9 years ago so they have no one on staff familiar with this johnson and have really been less than helpful about the whole d$%# thing. It's more of a nuisance than anything because it goes right away when it happens but I want if fixed. The rig was owned by an older gentleman who didnt use it that much so Im wondering if I just run a few tanks of gas thru it if it will clear up. Ive put maybe 3-4 total hours on it since i picked it up last week. I made them disconnect the vro before I bought it. They mentioned it alarmed on them when they test drove it prior to selling it and they thought disconnecting the vro would possibly fix it. thx for any help"

"if the vro is TOTALLY disc at

"if the vro is TOTALLY disc at engine ,then the only things left are--> faulty sys ck gauge,or poss overheating...make sure they disc the electrics from the vro ,which,i bet they did'nt-and remove tank sys from boat."

"It was supposed to be complet

"It was supposed to be completly disconnected but you may be right about the electic. They removed the oil tank and lines from what I could tell from a quick look, where would I look to see if they disconnected the electronics. Im an electronic medical tech by trade so I should be able to do it. Is there a seperate fuse I could pull? This engine has the 4 warning lights on the tach. Its definetly not overheating. thx"

"overheat,would also throw u i

"overheat,would also throw u into SLOW..so,u prob have a bad guage,or they did'nt disc plug harness."

"There are no sensors/switches

"There are no sensors/switches on that engine that should activate the 'check engine' light.
Most probably an instrument error, but clean and check all contacts in the harness etc, and do not forget some contact grease!"

"10-4 thx, it was completly di

"10-4 thx, it was completly disconnected. I looked at the fuel water seperator and the o-ring gasket was oversized or streched. I replaced the whole thing, I doubt that had anything to do with it? I'll check the contacts in the harness, where is the alarm piezo, built into the tach? again thx for all the help."

Back