Logo

1966 californian twin crusaders

jclays

Regular Contributor
Are the exhaust manifolds holl

Are the exhaust manifolds hollow as in the automotive counterparts or are there baffles or fins that will clog and rust out. the engines are not original 1966 but are 1969 350 chevy.The engine is raw water cooled.
Thanks
Jim

"Ayuh,...
They have Both,....

"Ayuh,...
They have Both,....Exhaust Passages,+ Water Passages,.......

Ayuh,.. They Rust.... If they're to the point of the Scale plugging the Water passages,.....
There's a Good Chance that they're about to Dump the Water into the Motor......
That usually costs you the price of a new motor, as well as the manifolds,+ risers....

I hear they only last 4 or 5 years in Saltwater......."

""How can one tell?????&#3

""How can one tell?????"

Tell What,..??..??...

To See if they're Rotten,+ Clogged,.....
Just Pull the Risers,+ Look......

To See if they're Rotten,+ about to Dump Water into the Motor,......
You Don't..... It's a Crap Shoot......
1 day everything is Fine......
The Next day,........ You need a New Motor........"

".."How can one tell?"

".."How can one tell?"

Listen intently as you crank the motors to life. If you hear RRRRRRR-hesitate-RRRRR, you might have water in a cylinder.

Jeff"

"Thanks guys...If i pulled the

"Thanks guys...If i pulled the plugs wouldnt i find indications of water?? Rust, wet plugs (water)???"

"What should my idle RPMs be f

"What should my idle RPMs be for 1988 Crusader 454s? They start at 650-700 RPMs cold then idle up to 900+ RPMs when warmed up. ... Also, I have one throttle that's a 1/2 inch out of alignment with the other. Can the throttle cable be adjusted?"

Wish me luck... Going to have

Wish me luck... Going to have my 1966 Californian hauled out and painted. Ive owned her since June the last 3 to 4 months the diver has told me I should have her bottom painted. the local boat yard that serviced her under the previous owner looked up her records and were suprised that she hadnt been painted since May 2002. At that time she got 2 coats of Petite Trinadad "blue". we hope the bottoms not too bad I can only afford a clean and 2 coat paint at this time. The previous owner had a diver clean her every other month. Ive had it done once a month since the water has been warm this year. She is in So California.

Back