Logo

318 running hot

W

will c

"Well I just re-assembled my 3

"Well I just re-assembled my 318 with new heads, manifolds, and risers. The engine starts and runs great but it is running way hot. I started to notice when I couldnt even leave my hands on the exahaust manifolds at all. it got to about 160*.

It seems like that would be a bad pump but its only 6 months old. it will cool down alot if I raise the RPM to around 1800 but at idle it gets super hot.

I am not running a thermostat right now but I didnt before either. I am waiting for it in the mail.

any advice is greatly appreciated, will"

Hummm.... Look for an air leak

Hummm.... Look for an air leak in hte hose going to the raw water pump. Mine did that when the strainer gasket was buggered up.

Jeff

"Well I ran it this morning th

"Well I ran it this morning the pump seems to be erratic. I have a volvo penta outdrive so I can see the engine discharge and after idleing for aprox 4 minutes it will stop pumping but once I rev it up a lil bit it will start again and the manifolds cool off again.

It also sounds like i may have bottom end noise now, possibly from hydrolocking the engine when the old manifolds were leaking into the cylinders.

I need to get a mechanical oil pressure guage and check it.

Jeff what is a good source for a 318 or 360 shortblock. I found an automotive 360 shortblock for 1200 brand new. would this work with brass freeze plugs and a marine camshaft?

thanks for any advice, will"

".." I found an automotive

".." I found an automotive 360 shortblock for 1200 brand new. would this work with brass freeze plugs and a marine camshaft?
"

Yes. The 360 has a bunch of different external parts, however (like the flywheel). You might have toscrounge one up.

Jeff"

"I got an estimate of 900 doll

"I got an estimate of 900 dollars to build a short block with marine cam and new pistons brass freeze plugs and marine gasket kit.
Sound good?

thanks, will"

i have a 1979 18ft chrysler w

i have a 1979 18ft chrysler with the 318 inboard
can't get it to pump water throw it i already replaced the impeller and it still wont pump water
what else would cause it not to pump water

Back