Logo

225150 johnson timing

• Thread starter Sheldon Guetling
  • Start date
S

Sheldon Guetling

"I have a 225 johnson (198

"I have a 225 johnson (1988) that will not run over 4500 rpm. I bought it used and turned out the guy I bought it from is a hack.I put it in the water yesterday to check timing and it was at 24 to 25* at wot but manual calls for 18*+/-1*. I backed timing down and then it would'nt run over 3000 rpm so I put it back where it was. The person I bought it from claims to have replaced the flywheel/timerbase,etc with parts from a johnson GT150. Would they physically interchange? If they do fit my manual calls for 28-32* total timing, depending on which year 150 the parts may have come from. I'm thinking this may be the reason for the low rpm's, that this timerbase if it is from a 150 needs more advance. Any way to I.D.these parts? Thanks, Sheldon"

"To the best of my knowledge t

"To the best of my knowledge the cross charged and loop charged flywheels are not interchangeable. Even if they were, the 225 has a larger charging system and is vented to keep it cool.

Good luck...

Rick"

"Sheldon,

The proper timing

"Sheldon,

The proper timing for your engine will not change depending on which timer base you use. It is determined by the configuration of the intake and exhaust ports. Set the timng with a timing light. It is best to have a couple of degrees less advance than specs call for than a couple of degrees too much.

It sounds to me as if you are losing one cylinder either due to lack of spark or a clogged main jet .

Tony"

If the " guy " put on

If the " guy " put on a timer fron a 150 he really is an amatuer. The 225 hp fires every 60 degrees and the 150 does not. Get the right parts or get it checked out properly before you learn from the wallet.If common sense was " common " then everybody would have some.

"sheldon , If you need a flywh

"sheldon , If you need a flywheel and timer base for that motor I have some very good parts left from when i changed my powerheads from 88 to 90 johnsons. the parts are just sitting in a shed where are you located?"

"The 1988 225hp V6 "Looper

"The 1988 225hp V6 "Looper" timer base part number is 586217. The 1988 150hp V6 "Crossflow" timer base is part number 583377. The DO NOT interchange.

The 225hp V6 "Looper" flywheel has a dome type shape to it. The regular V6 "Crossflow" flywheel has a flat type appearance to it. They DO NOT interchange either.

However, before you start throwing money at that engine, take a compression test of all cylinders.

Let us know what you find."

"I was asking about the timer

"I was asking about the timer base timing advance only because my manual mentions varying amounts of total spark advance depending on the color of the sleeves on the wire leads on some of the 150's.(timer base leads) Anyway I'm not suprised the parts do not interchange. this engine was supposedly rebuilt and it was believeable as I could see where gel seal had squeezed out between the cases during assembly. It sounded decent on the flusher/hose but really lacks in power. Boat is a 23' wellcraft coastal. Had problems w/it running real rich/ flooding when cold and inquired if the carbs were rebuilt and got an "if it ain't broke I don't fix it" from this "mechanic". I rebuilt the carbs myself after that and found one float way too low and another carb that had the main body j.b. welded and was leaking.They were fairly clean inside.
Last compression check I did varied from 75# to 80 # with MY guage- I had it checked when I bought the motor and it was higher (about 95) but with a different guage. I know this is on the low side- Think it's the problem?
Thanks, Sheldon"

"There is a big difference bet

"There is a big difference between 75 and 95. 95 is good, 75 is no good.

Also, FYI the '88 225 was 90 degree."

"The average compression psi f

"The average compression psi for that engine would be 90psi. Hopefully the 15psi range difference you state changes to a better reading with another gauge.

The mechanic's attitude and workmanship outlook leaves something to be desired in my opinion.

One easy mistake for a inexperienced "mechanic" to make is to get the primary leads to the coils mixed up.... check them for the sequence as follows:

Orange/Blue = Top Cyl
Orange = Center Cyl
Orange/Green = Bottom Cyl

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc"

Back