Logo

NEWBE LOOKING HP INFO

hardhat

I just purchased my first outb

I just purchased my first outboard. The only thing I know about the motor is that has a model number of J8RCOB and that it has not been run in the last 6 years. What do I have here and whre can I info to tell me what service I need to perform.

"You have a 1985 8hp Johnson.

"You have a 1985 8hp Johnson. Sitting for that length of time, the carburetor would no doubt be fouled and would require cleaning and rebuilding with a complete kit. The kit is fairly reasonable and can be purchased at any Evinrude/Johnson dealership and probably at NAPA.

Check the compression, spark, and the gearlube. If a philips screw exists on the skeg of the lower unit, DO NOT remove it as that would be the pivot pin for the internal shift lever."

"Thanks, as this is new stuff

"Thanks, as this is new stuff for me all info + does and don'ts help. Any idea on what repair manual would be good?"

"Dan,

The best service/repa

"Dan,

The best service/repair manual for that 1985 8hp would probably be the Seloc manual.

The factory service manual for 1985 covers all the 1985 models and is quite large and expensive. Most of the info would be for the larger HP motors won't be much help to you."

Back