Logo

235 evenrude

dan606

I have a 1982 235 evenrude tha

I have a 1982 235 evenrude that has 20 hours since rebuild. It will rev up to 5000rpm out of gear but in gear it will only run 1200 rpm. If I open the throttle to go faster the engine stalls. any suggestions?

"NOTE! Never apply throttle to

"NOTE! Never apply throttle to a engine when it is out of gear. You could very well set up a runaway engine scenario whereas closing the throttle does nothing.... and the engine simply keeps screaming away. Before you manage to stop the engine, connecting rods and other internal components will be flying out the sides of the crankcase.

If you have compression and spark on all cylinders, the cause is usually fouled carburetors or a sticking timer base under the flywheel.

Compression should be 100+ and even on all cylinders. Is it?

Spark, with the s/plugs removed, should jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame.... a real SNAP! Does it?

S/Plugs should be Champion plugs, gapped at .040.

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc"

"Thanks for the response..comp

"Thanks for the response..compression is 100psi+ all cyl. I don't run engine at high rpm except in this case to show that the engine will turn up over 1200 rpm. It ran normally for a while but now it runs as I described . carbs have been rebuilt and also the fuel pumps. I don't see why it chokes out in gear, when advancing the throttle . am using NKG plugs with center electrode Buhxw-1. Pulled the boat out yesterday and will not be able to run it in gear for a while.
Dan"

"NOTE: Any engine, running on

"NOTE: Any engine, running on half of its cylinders will turn up high rpms when out of gear. This proves nothing and could be costly and dangerous. Avoid that in the future.

Spark, with the s/plugs removed, should jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame.... a real SNAP! Does it?

Spark Tester - Home Made
(J. Reeves)

A spark tester can be made with a piece of 1x4 or 1x6, drive a couple nails through it, then bend the pointed ends at a right angle. You can then adjust the gap by simply twisting the nail(s). Solder a spark plug wire to one which you can connect to the spark plug boots, and a ground wire of some kind to the other to connect to the powerhead somewhere.

Using the above, one could easily build a spark tester whereas they could connect 2, 4, 6, or 8 cylinders all at one time. The ground nail being straight up, the others being bent, aimed at the ground nail. A typical 4 cylinder tester follows:

..........X1..........X2

.................X..(grd)

..........X3..........X4

Those NKG plugs..... Are they set at .040? If not, reset them.

You don't need to remove the flywheel to check the timer base for sticking.....

To check the timer base for sticking (Engine Not Running), spin the prop to align the shifter dog with forward gear and while doing so, put the engine into forward gear. Now, while watching the timer base, slowly apply throttle clear up to full throttle. The timer base should move smoothly all the way up against the black rubber cap that is atached to the end of the full advance spark setting screw. If the timer base sticks, find out why and correct that problem.

Usually any sticking of the timer base is caused by one of the four retaining clamps being slightly too tight. Putting a very thin washer under the clamp cures that problem. Some boaters use a thin screwdriver to bend the clamp upwards slightly but I prefer the thin washer. The sticking can also be caused by having a faulty stator start to melt down, resulting in a sticky substance dripping down on the timer base nylon retaining ring.

If that sticky substance is observed, dripping from the two rear large black coils, replace the stator.

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

"J Reeves:
Thanks again...tom

"J Reeves:
Thanks again...tomorrow I will try to check the timer base if I am capable of doing so..I,ll let you know what I find.
Dan"

"J Reeves:
This am, acting on

"J Reeves:
This am, acting on your advice, I checked out the spark advance lever and noticed a hole at the top of the lever. There along side the lever was the ball and socket linkage on the spark advance rod. The fit is very loose and with the ball and socket in place on the top of the spark advance lever, the ball pops out when the throttle is advanced. So I think I have found my problem, thanks to you, and will replace the ball and socket pieces on the spark advance rod. Also later today I plan on making a spark tester like you suggested. Thanks again for your help.

Dan"

Back