Logo

8v71TI for 46b 81 Bertram what should I look for

pennboater

"Looking to buy a 46 foot 81 B

"Looking to buy a 46 foot 81 Bertram, it has twin 8v71TI's in it. They are indeed turbos. The marina selling the boat told me that that is the orginal version of that particular engine on the that boat. The boat is a clean as you can imagine. I'm a special ed. teacher, so I am not that current with the problems of the 8v71's. I do understand about the noise, smoke, and oil that it uses. The engines have 2100 hours on them, with the last major overhaul taking place 700 hours ago. They are asking $200,000 for the boat which is a considerable investment for my wife and I. Any information that anyone could afford me would be greatly appreciative. thank you. Michael from Pittsburgh"

"The TI part of 8V71TI means i

"The TI part of 8V71TI means its a turbo. These engines are older design and do leak or weep alittle oil. Its getting harder to find a good mechanic that knows these engines. As for parts, you could get parts anywhere in the world for these engines, purchase a long block for 2000 to 4000 dollars. Find a mechanic that knows these engines and have them checked before you purchase, along with the survey. Well maintained these would be fine engines to have in a vessel."

"I am a diesel mechanic in Kin

"I am a diesel mechanic in King George, Virginia. I worked for Detroit Diesel for 6 years and have seen the two strokes in many applications. The best advise I can give is,to get a second opinion on the engines from a replicable mechanic. As far as an 8v71 Capt. Myers is right with the turbo,but the "I" means it is intercooled. I have seen,in boat applications,if there was ever an exhaust leak the exhuast can stop-up the intercooler and cause black smoke and low power. The inner cooler is in the block under the blower.It uses engine coolant to cool the incoming air,that can get very hot when pressurized by the turbo. Also with the engine up at operating temp make sure there is no fluids coming from air box drain tubes. These tubes drain any fluids inside engine air intake area.These tubes are located at the back of the block on both sides, and are 5/16 in diameter. Make sure no oil leaks,cut or broke hoses on air intake system,engine is not running rough or exhaust leaks."

Re: "I am a diesel mechanic in Kin

"I am a diesel mechanic in King George, Virginia. I worked for Detroit Diesel for 6 years and have seen the two strokes in many applications. The best advise I can give is,to get a second opinion on the engines from a replicable mechanic. As far as an 8v71 Capt. Myers is right with the turbo,but the "I" means it is intercooled. I have seen,in boat applications,if there was ever an exhaust leak the exhuast can stop-up the intercooler and cause black smoke and low power. The inner cooler is in the block under the blower.It uses engine coolant to cool the incoming air,that can get very hot when pressurized by the turbo. Also with the engine up at operating temp make sure there is no fluids coming from air box drain tubes. These tubes drain any fluids inside engine air intake area.These tubes are located at the back of the block on both sides, and are 5/16 in diameter. Make sure no oil leaks,cut or broke hoses on air intake system,engine is not running rough or exhaust leaks."

8v71ti DOES NOT have the intercooler located under the blower and it is not cooled by engine coolant. The intercoolers (there are two of them) located on top and behind the engine above the marine gear. They are cooled by sea water. These engines will leak oil, just like any other engine, if the person who puts them together does not know what they are doing. If they are built right, they will start cold on a half rotation and run clean.

Re: "I am a diesel mechanic in Kin -Advise Requested on Detroit Model 8V71T1

8v71ti DOES NOT have the intercooler located under the blower and it is not cooled by engine coolant. The intercoolers (there are two of them) located on top and behind the engine above the marine gear. They are cooled by sea water. These engines will leak oil, just like any other engine, if the person who puts them together does not know what they are doing. If they are built right, they will start cold on a half rotation and run clean.

We have come across a 50’ aluminum hull Yacht in Australia ( approx 17 Tons) and have to make a purchase decision soon. Unfortunately, the seller does not know the following and would be much grateful if you could let me know the answers to them:

(a) After how many hours the major overhaul has to be done on these engines.

(b) At present the engines have run 305,75 hours and we wish to find how many hours are left for the next major overhaul.
(c) The owner does not have the details about fuel consumption at different revolutions on load. If you could find any details about fuel consumption, and pass it down to us, it would be a great help.
(d) Availability of spare parts for this engine.

Your assistance in this regard would be greatly appreciated and awaiting your kind reply.

[FONT=&quot]Best regards,

DKDASS [/FONT]

DKDASS YOU HIJACKED THIS THREAD! START A NEW THREAD! Also, your (b) point about hours makes no sense! 305,75??? Is that Three Hundred Five with a DECIMAL point? Clarify that before reposting.
Thank you.

Re: "I am a diesel mechanic in Kin -Advise Requested on Detroit Model 8V71T1

penboater,

I agree with everything that jmaustin said. The intercoolers are called INTER because they treat the air coming from the turbos going into the engine. Inter= in between the turbo and the engine.

The cooler that sits beneath the blower is called an AFTERCOOLER because, well, it cools air AFTER the blower. If equipped with turbos and aftercoolers the designator would be 8V71TAC.

I am not familiar with any engines designated "8V71TI's. Could you explain?

As far as checking out the engines prior to purchase, it is good advice to have a good mechanical survey done. The survey is usually performed on an "a la carte" basis. Meaning: you can have as much or as little information "gathering" as you wish or, as is usually the case, can afford. A good and thorough survey will not be cheap but will be a very valuable investment if you were to purchase the vessel.

You can obtain much valuable information from the maintenance and captains logs. Also, a well maintained boat of that size should have a "bill of materials" file or something similar to indicate what has gone into the engine room and equipment. A visit to the repair shop that did the last major work could be time well spent.
Just remember, asking questions is free...so ask a lot. You should get plausible answers to everything you ask. Any hemming and hawing or reluctance to talk about a subject is suspect.

I agree that finding a qualified Detroit Diesel mechanic for the older 2 strokes is not always easy but there are many, many boats with those old girls still in service so it shouldn't be impossible. Inquiries in the brokers offices and around the docks should yield some candidates worth considering. Every big city has a Detroit Diesel facility close at hand and giving them a call for advice might get you a great contact as well.

Good to see you doing your homework. I hope you get the boat you want and have many a happy adventure!

Back