Logo

Johnson 2004 Display model 99 HP 4 stroke

guyjg

Gold Medal Contributor
"Hello experienced outboarders

"Hello experienced outboarders:

I have the opportunity to buy a display model outboard at a good price. The ad states it is a "Display model, Never run, Model # J10TEL4SR. Shipped complete with 3 gallon fuel tank, fuel hose, owner's manual. Full Factory Warranty."

The engine will be mounted to my 19" I/O and used as a trolling/kicker engine during long trolling periods. I use a 65# 24 volt electric bow mounted motor when casting the shoreline.

My question concerns the engine sitting for 3-4 years. Even with a full warranty, will it have any premature soft parts failure such as seals, hoses, etc.?

Are there any known problems or pitfalls with this particular year 4 stroke you know about?

I have experienced spiders building nests inside engines that sat for a few months and causing some run problems which would not be covered under wrranty. Since it has been indoors for 4 years, I am a little concerned about the overall integrity of the engine. Your comments are most welcomed.

Many thanks. Guy"

"I have had a couple of those

"I have had a couple of those at a small service boat, 14ft, for several years. Use no fuel at idling, seems to run for ever, gave it no service, just used it and abused it!
The only problem I had was starting. When cold, full choke and full throtle, then it allways started at 2. pull! This was only 1st time in the morning, the rest of the day almost just look at it. Only technical problem was the power pack that failed on both engines after some 300 hrs.
However this is a 'low speed' engine. Run it at full speed, and everything vibrates!!!!!
But winter in snow and ice or summer it ran!
You may have to clean out the carb after sitting for the mentioned periode of time, but that should be all to worry about."

Back