Logo

Etec fuel pumps

spindrift

i just started running a 115 e

i just started running a 115 evinrude etec. after 20 hours the fuel pump burned out. they changed it under waranty and 15 hrs later i burned up another. anyone else having this problem. i am in costa rica and we dont have the best gas and the dealer mech said my fuel had water in it. i have a racor filter and there wasnt any water in there. what could be burning up these pumps? thanks Doug Alfers

"As Your engine has a 'wat

"As Your engine has a 'water in fuel' alarm, sensor in the engine filter, I doubt water is the problem.
I have heard about some single problems about the pump in the vapor separator fuel pump, but not like Your. Running it dry for some time will burn it, but then You would probably have performance problem. Sounds to me more a BRP problem."

temporarely use 3/8 clear hose

temporarely use 3/8 clear hose and check for air bubles when running. install a vac gauge see how much it takes to pull gas no more than 4in vac

"Shawn:
Have a look at the sy

"Shawn:
Have a look at the system at the BRP catalogue.This engine has 2 fuel pumps: 1 'conventinal' membrane lift pump and 1 electric circulation and pressure pump.
I guess it is not the membrane bump burning out!
The electric pump is mounted inside a vapour seperator chamber similar in function to the 60 degree loopers. The function is not only to keep pressure up for the injectors, but even as important to cool down the injectors by the circulation of fuel.
If air bubles in the suction side is the problem, it would take a lot of air, and that would probably severly affect the engine performance, and even make the injectors overheat and start malfunction.
As I mentined I know it was some troubles with theese vapour units on the FICHT's, and it seems to be the same one still in use. Perhaps is the question where did the dealer get the replacement from? If water was to be the problem was there any corrosion inside the unit? Was the complete unit changed or just the pump?
In this case it might be more questions than answers and hopefully the dealer at the spot may be able to solve them, this at least seems to be a warranty case. If BRP is to coninue treating it as warranty it is important that the owner does not start too much playing with the engine and components, but leaves it to the 'licenced (E)tech'.
That is why I'm a bit carefull in sugesting 'things to test'."

"We replaced this unit three t

"We replaced this unit three times on a 90 HP Ficht and each time the pump seized after a few hours of operation. I took one of the pumps apart and found the gears binding. The motor was okay, but for some reason the gears (much like an oil pump) were seized. I could free them up and then they seemed fine. The pump had fuel inside when I took it apart. We replaced everything, checked everything, over and over. We added another water seperator, flushed the tank, cleaned out all fuel lines etc. Installed a new unit; same thing.

The customer sold the boat; we never found out exactly what the problem was, but my opinion is that the fault was one of two possibilities.

Either the gears that pressurize the fuel were defective, or the vapor seperator was malfunctioning, causing the gears to heat up.

Tony"

"ok sorry . what about the ven

"ok sorry . what about the vent on the vst if it were plugged ,obstrucked would it not slow the incoming fuel from lift pump? if their was a problem that many pumps wouldnt we know about it. brp replace them . float height? usually lack of fuel is the main killer . but i agree you should see performance problems . i just picture pump cavitation .thanks for the refresher morten . master yamaha marine tech,cert thru fict, efi,dfi. i know how it works i just see lack of flow or air."

however i am talking a litte o

however i am talking a litte out of turn i just looked at a picture it is one unit not like your norm vst simillar to fict.i would get BRP more involed . send them a fuel sample.you will get an alarm before water makes it to your pump. air should not be a problem with the seperating filter so close to vst . must be a BRP problem !again why are they not all failing .15-20hrs not much time i have serviced many fict with hundreds of hours and no prob/w pumps

"The system is the same as use

"The system is the same as used on the V4 fichts, in fact in general the same engine except for the ECM which has the E-Tech ECM with integrated regulator, and probably the E-tech pistons and cylinder sleeves. To me Tony's answers seems to be rather close: production problems with the Vapor unit and/or pump.
If the pump is 'burned' it might be a Tony says: seized gears, or it might be an electrical problem: Voltage drop due to bad connectors etc.
Hopefully the local dealer gets the needed support from BRP, and we gets some feedback from Spindrift when the problem is solved.
To me it is a clear case of warranty!"

"thanks everyone

the dealer

"thanks everyone

the dealer is looking in to it here in costa rica. but he just wants to change the fuel pump again. this technical stuff exceeds my spanish. i wanted some other ideas to have him check. but the engine ran great and then just died. no alarms, nothing. i also siphoned out some gas and i didnt see any water in it. and again it ran great. i ll keep you all posted. should there have been alarms, before failing?

Doug"

"fuel pump on my 1999 ficht 11

"fuel pump on my 1999 ficht 115hp was the same thing (as far as the electric motor and the little pump) seem to be the same thing that was in the fuel tank of my chevy camero 1985 and now my chevy lumina Z-34, both are mounted in side the fuel tank, and I have found that these pumps go bad right off the shelf more than they should. Good OEM pumps have lasted longer and the main reason for failure was lack of fuel that was caused by only a short and
I mean short lack of fuel (the lubricant for the pump) because of close tolerances I guess, " its over!" in just a short time. Make sure you still use your primer ball so that pump doesn't have to run no lube."

"fuel pump on my 1999 ficht 11

"fuel pump on my 1999 ficht 115hp was the same thing (as far as the electric motor and the little pump) seem to be the same thing that was in the fuel tank of my chevy camero 1985 and now my chevy lumina Z-34, both are mounted in side the fuel tank, and I have found that these pumps go bad right off the shelf more than they should. Good OEM pumps have lasted longer and the main reason for failure was lack of fuel that was caused by only a short and
I mean short lack of fuel, you can put either car into a curve to the left and the fuel level be low and the cars just stumble,just stumble(no lubricant for the pump) because of close tolerances I guess, " its over!" in just a short time. Make sure you still use your primer ball so that pump doesn't have to run no lube."

Back