Logo

Turbo problems for Cat 3176

mateobeneto

I have two Cat 3176 engines in

I have two Cat 3176 engines in the searay I occasionaly skipper. Recently the performance of the port engine got worse. When I compare the engines it seems that the turbo is not kicking in until 1800rpm on the port but much earlier on the starboard. Any ideas to where to start looking for problems with this would be appreciated as the yacht is out of range of Cat dealers (unless I fly them out and put them in a 5 star hotel!!).

"First thing I would check is

"First thing I would check is a waste gate being open too early, I had a 3208 with an internal waste gate rod, the clip fell of that kept the rod attached to the waste gate, this allowed the gate to flop around until enough psi was in the exhaust system to hold the gate shut, after that the boost would come up."

I removed the turbo and found

I removed the turbo and found the distance between the blades and the housing to be quite high on the exhaust side. I took the turbo to a local bus mechanic and he is going to repair the problem and service the turbo at the same time. Thanks for the help.

"Check your intercoolers if th

"Check your intercoolers if the pressure drop is not that great and compared that to the starboard side. If pressure or temp is high, clean your intercoolers..."

Hi, maybe it would be an idea to eliminate the charge air cooler from your turbo issues, there is a company that manufacture diesel engine charge air coolers. You should try Vestas aircoil A/S in Denmark www.vestas-aircoil.com
Maybe they can advise.

Back