Logo

Trying to confirm Chrysler 440 rotation

joewilson

"I am in the process of restor

"I am in the process of restoring a 1975 18 Ft Century Resorter with a Chrysler 440 engine. I have the engine out, the I.D. tags are missing. I need to get a reconditioned long block as this one has cracks in the lifter valley. Can anyone help me confirm the rotation?"

"If you have the starter, buy

"If you have the starter, buy turning it, that can tell you the rotation. Other then that viewing the cam will show you rotation. The block should be the same for both rotation engines. Really the only thing different between the two engines is the cam. Also the transmission might give you a hint most take normally rotation as foreward, they don't reverse rotation for foreward, as its stronger this way."

"Thanks for your help guys. Ba

"Thanks for your help guys. Based upon prop rotation, engine firing order (stamped on the intake) and starter rotation, it appears this is a right hand (clockwise when viewed from flywheel end)rotating engine - or opposite of a standard auto type engine. The block on my engine has cracks in the lifter valley from freeze damage. I have several remanufactured long blocks quoted, all with left hand rotation. As I understand it, if I purchase a left hand engine, and install my (right hand) cam, I should be good to go. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Joe"

"If that is the case, then my

"If that is the case, then my best bet is to try and find a right hand rotation, reman long block that is not a small fortune to buy."

"I'm having both engines r

"I'm having both engines rebuilt and it's going to cost me $5,000.00 and change. At first the motor shop said about $1600.00 each, assuming that the parts would cost about the same as auto parts. Then they let me know as I had found out marine parts cost almost double.I was going to purchase on line, but I already had $400.00 invested for them to mic out the motors so they are going to finish them. If you look up ebasicpower.com,they sell a long block for $$1900.00 with no engine return.Freight is extra.I didn't check out how much it would cost to ship to where I work, but I would be sure to check this out and find out where they ship to in your area. Hope this helps,john."

"John, be very careful. I don

"John, be very careful. I don't know a lot about the Chrysler but I do know about small block Chevrolet marine conversions. With the Chevrolet, the opposite rotation engines have the piston and rod assemblies turned around 180 degrees. This is to ensure lubrication to the rods and piston pins. If this isn't done, the pistons pins will fail. The cam is exactly the same in both engines. One uses a timing chain, the other uses a timing gear. Both the cam and the distributor turn the same direction in either configuration. The crankshafts are also different as one has a chain sprocket and the other has a gear, however, they are probably just pressed on. You could probably convert the rotation but it would be almost as much work as overhauling it all over again."

"To my knowledge the only diff

"To my knowledge the only difference between a Clockwise (standard, left hand) rotation 440 and a Counterclockwise (right hand) 440 is the camshaft and the oil pump drive. The camshaft spins the same direction as the crank shaft (both engines us a timing chain).

The CCW engine has a special oil pump that reverses the direction of the distributor drive, so that even though the cam shaft spins backwards the distributor spins the same direction (clockwise) on both engines, which lets them use the same distributer.

On the CCW engine the camshaft is ground exactly opposite, and the timing order is reversed. (Note the timing order on the intake manifold will not be correct, on a CCW engine, it will have the CW timing order.)

I’ve never heard of any difference in the Crankshaft, but I can’t rule that out entirely. I did look in my part book and the only parts listed as different are:

Camshaft, Oil Pump, Starter and Alternator, (although I think some brands of alternators will work both ways)

Note: I’m not a marine mechanic, but I do have a pair of 440s in my Whitcraft.

Also, the water pump is the same in both engines, but it is less efficient on the CCW engine, so CCW engines tend to run a little hotter."

"Did I say 'Timing Order&#

"Did I say 'Timing Order', I meant 'Firing Order' But you probably knew that."

"I have a pair and the only di

"I have a pair and the only difference is the crankshaft oil seal journal, the cam and oil pump are the same, it's just turned backwards by a gear set instead of a chain. Heads are 383 or 440 parts (I think they are called 906 heads) with sodium filled valves like the motorhome engines, gaskets are expensive because the head set is stainless steel.

Dan"

"Joe, this ad has been running

"Joe, this ad has been running in the local paper here in CT. If you're in NYC, it's about 1.5 hr drive for you. I have no affiliation with this guy, but I spoke with him on the phone several times conscerning other marine parts for sale.

" MARINE ENGINES,
Chrysler 440s, fresh water cooled, complete, low time, all accessories including transmissions, heat exchangers, pumps, engine mounts, wire brushed, 2 coats primer, possibly delivery, possible separate, $2000. (860) 460-6303 (2X). Niantic, CT"

Good luck, Noel."

"Update on 440 rotation engine

"Update on 440 rotation engine:

My original 440 was a reverse rotation (clockwise when looking on flywheel), but it is scrap. I found a complete marine 440, manifolds and all on ebay. I have it,and I just confirmed it has good compression, and has no apparent cooling or water leaks. My problem is it appears to be a counter clockwise rotation. Can I change the borg warner transmission to accomodate this? I obviously need to deal with the prop also. Thanks for reading.

Joe"

Back