Logo

Ignition timing on a 1968 Chrysler 35

1968chrysler35

"I want to verify that the ign

"I want to verify that the ignition timing is correct on my 1968 Chrsler 35. It has the old magento ignition (contact points and condensor - no alternator)

The manual says you have to use a special tool, (which I don't have) that's screwed into the top plug. You put the top cylinder at TDC and then back it off according the tool. Then you adjust the linkage using a light to determine when the contacts are open and closed.

My question is: Is there another way to check the timing without using the tool ? There are no timing marks on the flywheel so you can't use a timing light...

Ideas/suggestions....

Anybody have the special tool that they could sell or lend me.

Thanks,"

"ign set at (wot)
not

"ign set at (wot)
note one 28 deg btdc with fly wheel magneto ign
set points at 0.020

(wot) 32 deg btdc with battery type or magna power type 1 ignition set gap at 0.015

if you dont have the tool
remove plug use timber dowel to find top dead centre , mark fly wheel, then use protractor, school type plastic ones, mark of the degrees you need and set with timming lite, this will get you going.
the tool is more acurate as it will allow for main and piston bearing wear.
you will find as the timber rod comes out to max as you rotate the fly wheel, it will be hard to get good acurate mark as there will be some play in the fly wheel."

"Thanks for the advice and the

"Thanks for the advice and the emails.
I have a Chrylser Service Manusl, but it does not describe the method in the pages that you sent me.

Thanks, again."

Back