Logo

Piston pictures

"Sorry maybee this is a better

"Sorry maybee this is a better pic!
61142.jpg
"

"Now that I know what you'

"Now that I know what you're speaking of, my explanation holds. That's their purpose."

"A small comment to the pic:

"A small comment to the pic:
If that red 'goo' I see on the pic used as sealant for the exhaust cover (and other places) is silicone, You are asking for trouble!"

tooling marks ok i agree no re

tooling marks ok i agree no red goo this is not even exceptible as a back yard job .we use special sealers that do not act like shims water drain holes are also small .a piece of that will ruin you

"Thanks Joe I wasn't aware

"Thanks Joe I wasn't aware of that!

And just to let you guys know the red goo I pretty much on every seal. Keep in mind that I bought this old engine in a yard sale for next to nothing. And I'm simply opening it up to learn about outboards. and yes the red goo will be taken off and proper seals are going to be installed, If I want to get it to run. You know how it is! Sometimes its cheaper to buy new! but for now I'm using it as a learning tool. and I'm actually enjoying it."

"But, are you having fun yet?

"But, are you having fun yet? Biggest surprise for me was when I took one of the rod caps off for the first time, and had pin bearings fall out all over the place. Never expected that. One other thing they may not teach you in the books is the importance of using a torch to loosen stuck bolts. They wring off very easily, yet with some well placed heat, many times you can avoid that. Another surprise, was that much of what you replace as a matter of course when rebuilding an auto engine--you would not normally do on an outboard. The main bearings come to mind. On an auto engine rebuild, they are always replaced. On an outboard, they are generally replaced only if necessary. (The price can be sobering!)"

Back