Logo

Charging System

N

Ned Dixon

"A friend has a 1985 Evinrude,

"A friend has a 1985 Evinrude, 25 Horse Model E25RCOS. Originally it was a pull start but he added a pushbutton start a couple of years ago. My question is does this motor have a charging system? I don't think so, (being pull start) but need to confirm.

PS: This is the friend that I had to convince to mix his oil 50:1. I told him that the 100:1 oil mixture was an OMC goof as I found out here. He said "no wonder it was rattling!". Duh."

"No charge system from the fac

"No charge system from the factory, but You may add a charge coil '25' and rectifier '6' = ssome bits and pieces.
Go to the BRP parts catalog, and You get the part numbers. The 100:1 mix was pulled back from OMC mainly because of internal corrosion risk when engine was not in use, and sometimes excessive wear at high speed and load. If You use Youe engine for trolling daily, go by 100:1, but as a general recomendation the 50:1 rules!

http://epc.brp.com/default.aspx?brands=ej&lang=E

61119.gif
"

they may have installed a char

they may have installed a charge kit with the electric start if you have #6 bolted to the block you have a charging system

"The standard kit 0173964 does

"The standard kit 0173964 does unfortunately not include the charge components, however if there are 3 yellow wires comming from under the flywheel ending either in 'nothing' or in a plug at the port side of the lower cover at least the charge/lightening coil is installed."

"Absolutely mix it 50/1--- i a

"Absolutely mix it 50/1--- i am adding the charging sys to a 25 right now...its not that expensive...just do as above first,..look for a rectifier,..a round thing,w/yellow wires and a term board,....i would bet it was not added,as u can get many starts from a 25 before a re-chg is needed,if thats all the batt is supplying..."

Back