Logo

1966 Californian twin 350 Crusaders

jclays

Regular Contributor
More questions. The boat is no

More questions. The boat is now running fine. I have questions on the cooling system. She is raw water not closed system. The old guy i bought her from said that she has no thermostats thats just the way she is. There is a blockoff plate on both engines. Temp gauges never lift off 125 degrees. I will take temps with heat gun next time i take her out. Where should i shoot the temp readings and what temp should i look for. Im running twin 1969 350 chevys based on the block casting numbers.
Thanks in advance.
Jim

"Any where on the main block,

"Any where on the main block, running tempt 160- to 180. All engines should have thermostats. If he pulled them for some reason I would put them back. If they don't have a housing I would get one and make them into this type of cooling system. At 125 they are running cold and this is not good. Poor performance, fuel milage, early death."

The temperature sensors for th

The temperature sensors for the temp gauges are on the ends of the manifolds would this cause a cool reading???

The sensors are in the water j

The sensors are in the water jacket some where and where ever they are the should be reading one would think around 160- to 180

Do the old style crusader exhu

Do the old style crusader exhuast manifolds have anything that gets cloged or is it basicly straight thru. What problems except for rusting out would i expect from these manifolds? do they need replacement at a certain time??? This is a open raw water system. In and out salt water.
Thanks again in advance
Jim

"In a salt water cooled engine

"In a salt water cooled engine anything above 140 will cause salt crystallization which will block your cooling passages. But operating at low temps cause incomplete combustion, build up of acids, condensation, and dilution of the lube oil. Unfortunately a raw water cooled engine is a comprimise. I think frequent oil changes will help with the acid, condensation, oil dilution problems."

Heat gun on a warmed up engine

Heat gun on a warmed up engine are as follows. 155 degrees at the exhaust ports entering the manifolds. 125 at the manifolds and hoses. Engine where idled at 1000rpm for 15min prior to the heat scans. both engines where almost identical. Not much variation.

Back