Logo

Water Pump Problem225 Mercury EFIXL

biggeasy

" We just purchased a 1999 225

" We just purchased a 1999 225 Mercury Bluewater edition outboard. We noticed that the tell tale was peeing intermittantly so we decided to change the water pump as a precaution. (Not sure about previous owner's maintenance.)

However, with the new water pump the tell tale still doesn't stream very strong. Also, I have noticed that this motor does not pass water through the upper exhaust ports but only through the propeller exhaust. This is the first time I've seen an outboard that doesn't have some water coming out of the exhaust. (Previous outboards were 85 Evinrude and 35hp mercury.) Yes, this engine has been a significant step up.

1. Does anyone have a suggestion for the lack of water through the streamer? I know the water pump and housing are good because there is a lot of water is exiting the prop at idle.

2. Is water supposed to exit the exhaust ports on this particular engine?

Any help would be appreciated. "

"Biggeasy,

You won't se

"Biggeasy,

You won't see very much (if any) water coming out the idle exhaust ports on this motor; just the telltale and lower unit.

You should get a steady stream out the telltale though. Check the hose and fittings if you haven't already done that. The hose and fittings can get clogged with debris.

"

Back