Logo

1978 evinrude 140 turn off switch half motor still runs

B

Buddy Green

When I kill the motor with th

When I kill the motor with the key half the motor still runs.What do you think could be the problem?

"Buddy.... The kill circuit is

"Buddy.... The kill circuit is as follows:

Black ground wire to one "M" terminal at key switch, Black/Yellow wire from other "M" terminal at key switch to powerpack, Black wire from powerpack to ground.

With the key in the ON position, there is no connection between the two "M" terminals and the self contained ignition is free to engage.

With the key in the OFF position, the two "M" terminals are connected, effectively shorting out the powerpack/ignition to ground, killing the ignition.

To test the pack, remove the cover and run a small jumper from the black/yellow wire at the pack terminal to ground. With the s/plugs removed, check for spark. If you now have no spark, the pack is okay. If you still have spark, the problem is within the pack.

If the pack checks out okay, there is either a break in that black/yellow wire somewhere, or the ignition switch is faulty, or the plain Black ground wire from the switch is not grounding properly.

Joe
"

" Buddy; you have one of two b

" Buddy; you have one of two bad power packs,find out which side is not shutting off swap power packs retest problem moves bad =power pack problem does not move you have a faulty motor wire harness.if you have a single power pack system you have a faulty power pack "

"Buddy.... Zeke is correct abo

"Buddy.... Zeke is correct about your engine having dual powerpacks. My explanation leans towards towards the earlier single pack V/4 engines. However the trouble shooting procedure would be the same, excepting as Zeke states... it's possible to have one faulty powerpack with an internal kill circuit. At any rate, let us know what you find.

Joe
"

I have the motr 75 hp marine

I have the motr 75 hp marine mercury. Please inform best price.
MOTOR MERCURY 75 HP
Serial nember ?OD260670

REF
27-43004A99
31-430121A
42943A1
31-43013T3
30-43011T
646818846T6
29-88528
777-815965T4
39-96170A12