Logo

A great big thank you to Joe

A

AlabamaRan

" Joe,

I did most everythin

" Joe,

I did most everything you suggested to do to my little 70' model 9.5 Johnson and then took it out to the lake last weekend. Man, that thing purrrred for the most part and the only problem I had was every once in awhile, it would shut off at very low speed, like when I would twist the throttle handle as low as it would go. Sometimes the motor would just go into a low idle when I would do this. It kind of makes me think I lose fuel at very low idle, but only some of the time. Any idea why?

Next, would you try and explain to me what to do, if anything, with the small knob on the left front of the motor. It has a "R" on one side and an "L" on the other. I suspect they stand for "Rich" and "Lean" as it relates to fuel mixture, but I am not turning that thing until I know what to do with it since the little motor seems to run so good most of the time.

Anyway Joe, I really appreciate your time and expertise, and the fact that you share them both so freely in this forum. Thank you. "

"Alabama.... those two questio

"Alabama.... those two questions are related. Turning the throttle handle too low can result in the engine dying out at times if the mechanical stop is set too low. On the same side as the throttle handle, half way back on the side of the hood pan, you'll see a rather large plastic knob (if it hasn't been removed and discarded). That is a mechanical idle stop to set the low end idle. The small knob on the front of the engine with the "L" and "R" is, as you suspect the rich and lean mixture. Do this... with the engine running as low as you can get it to run without dying out, slowly turn that R/L knob in (clockwise) in 1/8 turn segments..... wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. You will reach a point where the engine will either start to die out or it will sort of spit back through the carburetor (will sound like a very mild backfire). At that point, back out on that R/L knob (counter-clockwise) untill the engine runs as smooth as possible at idle. You should not need to back it out over 1/4 turn. If you go beyong that 1/4 turn mark, it would most likely be running too rich. If you suspect that the R/L knob is already turned too far in, seat it (gently), then back it out two (2) turns for a starting point. That plastic R/L knob has a built in stop to it, so you'll need to pull it off to make a complete turn with it. Note that as you turn the knob in, the rpms will increase, so adjust the rpms as low as possible as you go.

Joe
"

Thanks Joe for the info on th

Thanks Joe for the info on the mix knob and how to use it I have had one of these motors that I bought new in 1970 and had no idea how to use the r/l knob and had no need to so I left it alone but if needed I know now Thanks Don

Back