Logo

6 volt to 12 volt

T

T Marshall

I am restoring a 1954 Correct

I am restoring a 1954 Correct Craft with a Model 70 GreyMarine engine. I want to convert the boat to 12-volt. Any words of wisdom? Not sure exactly what I need to do with the starter (if anything) and the generator (not alternator).
T Marshall

" T, you will have to change a

" T, you will have to change all electrical components to 12V. Make sure you use Marine rated equip. Dont forget light bulbs, voltage regulator,blower motors,switches,bilge pumps, etc. The existing wiring should be OK as 6V system uses a larger guage wire than a 12V system Good Luck ,Kim "

" Kim,
Thanks for the respons

" Kim,
Thanks for the response. What do you mean by Marine Rated equipment? Any experience on converting generators to 12 volt from 6 volt?

Thanks,
T Marshall "

" Sorry about not getting back

" Sorry about not getting back to you sooner, vacation called! Marine rated electrical equip is sealed in such a manner as to prevent ignition of gas fumes in the bilges and to help keep out moisture, hence corrosion. Some marne rated equip (such as solenoids) will work in any position, auto types may or may not. As far as converting 6V to 12 V on the gen, try a generator/starter rebuild shop. They can either rebuild or tell you part # for new one. Kim "

Back