Logo

TROUBLESHOOTING A 94 EVINRUDE INTRUDER

josh

Contributing Member
" I HAVE 1994 EVINRUDE INTRUDE

" I HAVE 1994 EVINRUDE INTRUDER 175.I CAN RUN THE BOAT OUT ON THE LAKE FOR SEVERAL MINUTES AND THEN STOP TO FISH,SOMETIMES IT WILL START RIGHT UP AND OTHER TIMES IT WONT START BACK.I PUMP MY FUEL BULB, BUT DOESEN'T START BACK. SOMETIMES I CAN FLIP MY KILL SWITCH ON AND OFF AND STARTS BACK BUT NOT ALWAYS.ALL OF MY WIRING LOOKS OKAY. DO I HAVE A POWER PACK PROBLEM OR TEMPATURE SENSOR BAD?CAN PLEASE HELP ME. THANK YOU "

"Josh..... That engine came in

"Josh..... That engine came into being after I retired so my knowledge is somewhat lacking on its design. However, the circuitry would be similar which would bring in the same troubleshooting methods.

When this problem arises, does your engine atempt to start such as it might be trying to run on 3 cylinders, or does it simply crank over with no attempt to fire at all?

Think over your problem and if you could elaborate a little more in depth on the problem, it would help myself and others in getting to the root of your problem.

Joe
"

" JOE, THE ENGINE WILL JUST CR

" JOE, THE ENGINE WILL JUST CRANK OVER WITH NO ATTEMPT TO FIRE AT ALL. I KIND OF FELT LIKE I HAD WIRE SHORTING OUT BECAUSE IN ROUGH WATER IT WILL KILL THE ENGINE SOMETIMES BUT I CANT SEE ANY LOOSE OR BAD CONNECTIONS.SOMETIMES IT MAY CUT OUT LIKE A LOSS OF POWER RUNNING ON PLANE.I HAD A TEMP. SENSOR REPLACED LAST YEAR BUT I DONT FEEL LIKE THESE ARE THE SAME SYMPTOMS. "

"Josh.... At the engine wiring

"Josh.... At the engine wiring harness, locate the "Black" wire that has a "Yellow" stripe which leads to the powerpack. Disconnect that wire at the rubber plug connector. That will eliminate the kill circuit at the ignition switch and also at the kill switch.

If the engine now operates as it should, replace the ignition switch as it more than likely has an intermitent short between the two "M" terminals. Let us know if that cures the problem, and if not, we'll go from there.

Joe
"

" Josh: That engine (60-de

" Josh: That engine (60-degree block) is subject to heat soak. That's why it is the only outboard that I know of that has both carburetors and a vapor separator tank. On a warm start, DO NOT hit the choke. If it still won't start, advance your warm-up lever as much as posible. If after that, remove the hood and have someone physically hold the thottle plates almost fully open and try to start - it will start. That motor doesn't like fouled spark plugs. They have changed to Champion QL78YC @ .030 gap from the qriginal plugs. Good luck. "

" I have a 1994 Evinrude Model

" I have a 1994 Evinrude Model E40TLET. The "no oil" horn sounds off continually when started. The last time this occured the motor was under warranty, they replaced the unit which the horn resides in and assured me the engine was receiving oil. Is this sensor really necessary? So far it seems more of a nuisance ... technology hardware not catching up to the idea. "

Back