Logo

Replaceing a floor in a boat

" I assume by the floor you ar

" I assume by the floor you are referring to the "deck". First very carefully remove the existing deck, noting how it was fastened and what it was fastened to. Most likely it is marine plywood, glued and screwed to wood stringers, possibly fiberglassed. Obviously before this happens you will have to remove seats or anything else attatched to the deck. Make sure whatever supports the deck is dry and in good condition before trying to rebuild. If the stringers are in bad shape you may have to "sister" them. Try to save deck as you remove it for a pattern for the new deck. I am guessing that this as a fiberglass runabout or similiar boat. If this is so, you will probably find that the plywood deck is covered by a layer or two of fiberglass and resin. It is imperative that this be replaced in the same manner as to maintain a watertight deck. After deck is replaced, you may replace carpet or whatever was covering the deck before. My personal favorite finish is to apply a coat of marine deck paint (after fiberglassing) and adding no skid sand. This makes a great no skid surface, easy to claen. Then for comfort if you wish I add marine or indoor-outdoor carpet pieces that can be easily taken up and cleaned and dried between uses. Good luck, and post your results. Kim PS if you are not familiar with any terms or methods I have described here, please post more ?s. Sorry to be so long winded, but it is can be a fairly involved job, but is usually worth it and a lot cheaper than hiring it done. "

" rather than using a marine p

" rather than using a marine paint and adding sand, I have had good success using a brush or roll on truck bed liner, it gives you a durable finish that is no skid. use a white liner and add pigment if you want colour. email me if you need more information "

" Folks,

I need your advice

" Folks,

I need your advice about getting rust stains out of the whith fiberglass hull. Any ideas? "

" Phillip, try a good marine s

" Phillip, try a good marine supply store and see what they have on the shelf. If all else fails I have used Soft Scrub (with bleach). Pour some on a damp rag and rub gently. Hint: If you let it set for a while the bleach will take the rust out. After you get the hull clean be sure to follow up with a good coat of wax. Rain dance is my favorite as it beads up the H2O and prevents water spots. Good Luck, Kim "

Back