Logo

Evinrude Coil Conversion

J

John Burbank

" I have a '68 55 horse Ev

" I have a '68 55 horse Evinrude 3 cyl that had a coil conversion completed prior to my aquistition. The engine runs, but has been having charging problems. I checked the stator and it tested within specs, replaced the rectifier as it had failed the testing, but I am still having charging problems. I am wondering if it has something to do with the coil change over. I cannot trace it with a manual since it was a retrofit. Any clues in finding out how a coil conversion should be done would be a great help. or any other comments. Thanks "

"John.... I'm unsure as to

"John.... I'm unsure as to what you're speaking of when you speak of the "Coil Change Over", however I assume you're speaking about some type of conversion from the transistorized (Battery Capacitance Discharge) ignition system to some other type ignition system. At any rate, the ignition system has nothing to do with the charging system (interference) unless there is a wire hooked up wrong which would throw reverse polarity to the rectifier at the "Red" wire on the terminal block. The proper procedure for testing that charging system with a ohm meter is as follows:

Stator: With the ohm meter leads connected in either direction, a reading must be obtained between the "Yellow" wire and the "Yellow/Gray" wire. NO reading should be obtained between either of those wires and "Ground" on a high ohm setting.

Rectifier: With the ohm meter connected in one direction, the same exact reading should be obtained between the "Yellow" wire and "Ground", and the "Yellow/Gray" wire and "Ground". A lower reading should be obtained between the "Red" wire and "Ground". There should be NO reading with the ohm meter connected in the opposite direction (reversing the black and red leads).

Rectifer (cont): With the ohm meter connected in one direction, a reading should be obtained between the "Yellow" wire and the "Red" wire. The same exact reading should be obtained between the "Yellow/Gray" wire and the "Red" wire. There should be NO reading with the ohm meter connected in the opposite direction (reversing the black and red leads).

Voltage: twelve positive (12+) volts should exist at that rectifier "Red" wire terminal at all times, not just when the ignition key is on. I don't like that feature but that's OMC's setup. If that positive voltage isn't there, there is no way that the charging of the battery can take place. Reverse polarity twelve (12-) volts will destroy the rectifier immediately.Hope this helps you somewhat.

Joe
"

Back