Logo

FUEL CONSUMPTION CONFUSION

richy

" I'M LOOKINK AT A 34'

" I'M LOOKINK AT A 34' SEA RAY SEDAN BRIDGE,1986, AND COULD USE SOME HELP. I HAVE DONE SOME RESEARCH ON THE BOAT, BUT I CAN'T FIND ANY INFORMATION ON WHAT THE FUEL CONSUMPTION WOULD BE AT CRUISE (APPROX. 20-21 KNOTS) WITH TWIN 454's, AND AT WIDE OPEN (APPROX. 30 KNOTS)?
I HAVE SEEN A FEW SIMILAR SIZED BOATS OFFERED WITH TWIN 350's. DO THESE SMALLER ENGINES USE ALOT LESS FUEL? DO THWY HAVE TO WORK ALOT HARDER?

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. "

" Richy, I can answer one of y

" Richy, I can answer one of your questions. A smaller engine will generally use less fuel, but of course less performance also. In some cases (rare) a smaller engine will use more fuel if it is working too hard, but usually not the case. As far as actuall fuel use, every boat and owner is different but with twin 454's you will be good friends with the fuel dock attendant. Maybe someone else out there has a similiar set up and can ball park a fuel use for you. If fuel use is a major concern look for a diesel. Sure a little more $ up front but huge savings in the fuel area and no explosive vapors!!!Good luck, Kim "

" I would expect approx. 25 gp

" I would expect approx. 25 gph at cruise. Yes diesel will burn less fuel, but have you bought diesel lately? I have yet to figure why fuel which takes much less effort to refine cost more than the fuel which is much more involved to refine. "

" Diesel costs more as they do

" Diesel costs more as they dont sell much, compared to gasoline. The old supply and DEMAND thing. Also they know you get better mileage from diesel so they still want to get a certain amount of your money. Note: according to a recent farmers magazine, if the US would built ethanol plants, we could do three things.#1 have a good market for corn, #2 cut US dependency on foriegn oil, and #3, gasohol would cost about 60 cents a gallon to produce, and probably sell for less than a dollar.(It also burns cleaner than gasoline and would produce less pollutants). Kim "

" I'm interested in this t

" I'm interested in this topic as well and have had a hard time getting good information. I've got a similar boat - 1986 Cruisers 337, spec'd at about 11,000 lbs., with twin 454s. The best consumption ever (per FloScan gauge) after Holley carb rebuild (in 1999 when I bought the boat) was a little under 2 gal per nautical mile. More typical is 2.5 - 3 gal per mile!! New carbs haven't helped. Compression is poor but not awful.

I'm considering a repower, but am not sure even fresh gas motors would do much better than this.

Anyone have real experience with these motors on a similar size boat?

Thanks,
Mike "

" Talk to a local Marine dies

" Talk to a local Marine diesel dealer and price out a repower. You can plan on saving at least 25 to 30 per cent on fuel and in some extreme cases (like mine) up to 75 %. May have a little slower top end but will still give good cruise, and no gas fumes!!!Kim "

" I own a 1967 Bertram 31 with

" I own a 1967 Bertram 31 with twin 454 Crusaders and currently doing a repower with diesels due to the terrible mileage with 454s about .75 miles to the gallon at 24 mph. 3000 rpms. Boat capable of going much faster, but the mileage would be ridiculous. Good luck. Roland "

Back