Logo

Pertronics or not

R

Ron Brassord

" I run a PCM 350 1986 in my

" I run a PCM 350 1986 in my Luhrs Alura. It has about 1200 hours FWC and runs pretty good now, although I run it slow at 2200/2600. I was having a lot of trouble with plugs getting 10/20 hours, but I changed the wires to HD marine and the present NGK set has 50 hours and going fine.The old convential type points are my concern, and I wonder if I would get more reliability with the Pertronics system? A little more HP would be nice to have, but not essential.
Is the system available over the counter?
Thanks for any advice Ron B Lighthouse Point FL. "

" Ron I to have been thinking

" Ron I to have been thinking on the same lines. I have a older Chrysler (1988)in my Luhrs with electronic ignition. This has shown to be an improvement over my old points/condensor unit. Cost would be my deciding factor, these kits are quite expensive. I have been checking different web sites as well as catalogs and thought I should just change the entire distributer. The weights and springs are sure to be corroded by now and instead of a rebuild just replace it. Also about the spark plugs, I have the same problem,I am going to try running with platinum plugs this season. "

"I converted my 1980 CC Catali

"I converted my 1980 CC Catalina's 305K Prestolite distributor about 2 years ago. The Pertronix unit has worked perfectly. I also replaced the wires, plugs and coil at that time and the plugs are showing normal wear at about 70 hours.

You may get a slight power boost from being able to open up the plug gap slightly compared to points ignitions. A Pertronix unit will make a good points distributor better, but would be wasted on one that needs replacing.

If these units fail, you lose your ignition, so I carry my old points and condenser in a baggy in my onboard tool box. Haven't needed it yet!

"

" Dennis Are you running a 30

" Dennis Are you running a 30 Luhrs Alura? I would like to compare performance stats if you are and would welcome an email.
Question? Is there a significant risk of the Pertronics failing? And, who would stock the unit where it could be examined? Ron B "

" Hey guys, NAPA sells replace

" Hey guys, NAPA sells replacement upgrades (points to electronic) for a reasonable price for many Marine engines. What engine and dist do you have and I can get a part # if they make it. I upgraded my Mopar 440, and had super luck, but also carried my old points and stuff, just in caase.Kim "

" Ron, I do not have the Alura

" Ron, I do not have the Alura, mine is the Luhrs 280 sportfish (1976). But I can give you some performance numbers on it . Boat weight is approx. 10,000lbs., single 318cu.in. Chrysler rated at 240hp, Paragon Vee drive, turning a 17x17 bronze prop. Max. rpm is 4200, cruise rpm is 3100 at 17-18 knots. I burn 12-13gph of fuel at cruise as per Flow scan meter. I belive the Alura uses a displacement hull where my boat is a planing hull, and depending on the year you may have the long or short keel.(short keel was prone to eccessive vibration). "

" I installed a pertronix kit

" I installed a pertronix kit in my 350 Chevy powered hot rod 4 years ago.It works flawlessly.No more dwell adjustments.I have heard of some people having problems,but they were due to the installer not following the instructions provided.The kit was very easy to install.They are available at summitracing.com and other sources.I hope this helps.....Tim "

Back