Logo

99 mercury 2stroke

M

Michael Strudwick

" A friend of mine just gave m

" A friend of mine just gave me a 9.9 mercury 2-stroke. im not sure of the year at all and if i had it with me i could tell you at least some serial info et cetera, but seeing as i dont, i cant. If it helps it seems like a 1980's. Anyways it hasn't been run in god know's how long and has been sitting for at least a year or four intact under a tree mounted on a guinoe. I have hope's to mount it on a 12' jonboat and haul ass across lakes, but i dont even know if it'll run, my guess is...not off the bat. but what are some simple troubleshoot's to see if i can even get it to run, and after that what (other then run it often) is nessisary to keep good performance in a 2 stroke motor? And i know im getting way ahead of myself, but is there a cheap way to bring up the HP? "

"Michael,

First check for s

"Michael,

First check for spark. The spark should be able to jump a gap of about 7/16 inch.

If you have spark, and enough compression you should probably remove the carburettor before attempting to start the engine. Clean it out, and get a carb rebuild kit before you put it back together, so that you can replace the important parts.

Before you attatch the fuel line back on the carb, hook up the fuel tank and squeeze the primer to see if fuel will flow through the pump. You may have to clean out the pump also, or replace a fuel filter if you have one.

While you are fooling around with these things, you can spray some kind of lubricant into the crank and cylinders, so that by the time you are ready to start it up everything will be as loose as possible.

"

Back