Logo

Stator question

D

dervin

" I have been told my stator m

" I have been told my stator may be bad on my 115hp Merc, 1981 inline 6. What exactly is a stator? Are these hard to repace? Howabout a ballpark price for replacement at a marine dealer?
Also I believe my starter solenoid may be bad.
The last time I took the boat out, when I turned the key over, Nothing. I got a screwdriver and arced the two posts and it turned over. Is it bad? How much for this part?
Thanks,
Dave from KY "

"Dave,

The stator produces

"Dave,

The stator produces electricity for the charging system and the ignition system. It is fairly easy to replace. It would probably run about $300 at a dealer to do the job. You can price new stators at any of the online parts distributors.

The starting problem could be quite a few things. You should check the inline fuse in the red wire from the solonoid to the ignition switch first. Then you have to check the ignition switch and the wires leading to it and from it to the solonoid.

"

" HI DAVE,
I HAVE A NEW

" HI DAVE,
I HAVE A NEW STATOR IN STOCK AT A COST OF $250.00. YOU SAID THE STARTER WILL WORK IF YOU JUMP THE POSTS ON THE SOLENOID. IF YOU HEAR THE SOLENOID CLICK WHEN YOU TURN YOUR KEY BUT THE STARTER DOESN'T TURN THEN IT'S A PRETTY SURE BET YOUR SOLENOID IS BAD. A NEW ONE IS $32.50 BUT I HAVE GOOD USED ONES FOR $20.00. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF I CAN HELP.
BRIAN "

Back