Logo

MARINE BLOCK OR AUTOMOTIVE BLOCK

john

Contributing Member
I have a 318 chrysler marine

I have a 318 chrysler marine engine with hardly any hours on rebuild(1976block).It was converted from raw water to fresh water and I belive the water jacket was worn and ate through after a short period of time.I have many new parts including exhaust.Can I replace block with a newer automotive one and use my marine crank and cam and the rest of my marine parts on it? thanks alot in advance. JOHN

" John,

Yes you certainly c

" John,

Yes you certainly can do this. Although, considering all of the labor and expense involved, you will be better off buying a remanufactured longblock. For well under $2,000.00 you can buy a complete longblock, professionally assembled with a warranty.
If you choose to use a junkyard block, you will need to have it cleaned, linebored, have new cam bearings and freeze plugs installed. That's before you consider any moving parts such as pistons, rings, bearings and reconditioning of your heads, rods etc. I've done the math, trust me , you're better off. Pick up that phone, make that call.

Good luck,
Rick "

I AM NEW AT THIS PLEASE TELL

I AM NEW AT THIS PLEASE TELL ME WHEN I DRAIN MY OIL IN MY INBOARD 350 MOTOR SHOULD I HAVE WATER IN MY OIL. IM NOT SURE IF I WINTERIZED CORRECTLY

Back