Logo

Gray Marine Model 70

J

Jeffrey C

" Hello,
I'm in the middl

" Hello,
I'm in the middle of my first wood boat restoration (1953 Reinell 18ft). What a job! I have a Gray model 70 that runs fine but smokes something terrible. The smoke isn't water or oil but just an over rich carb. The one mixture screw I see bogs the engine when turned in and revs the engine when let out. My question being how do you lean these engines!
Also anyone have the year and HP on the model 70's

Thanks Jeff "

" What model carburetor is it?

" What model carburetor is it? I can probably give you carburetor specs / adjustment instructions...

Regards,
Andrew "

" Are you sure it is a model &

" Are you sure it is a model "70" ???

Is it 4 cylinder or 6? Do you know the displacement?

I don't see a model 70 in the various indexes I have for Gray Marine.

Regards,
Andrew "

" Thanks for the help,

On t

" Thanks for the help,

On the transmission it reads

GRAY MARINE MODEL 70
INDVIDUAL PORTING
Eng. No. G15424

Its a 4cyd.

Jeff "

grey marine marine motor co.

grey marine marine motor co. detriot michigan model no70 eng no. p1984 do i use sae 30 nondetergent oil in the crankcase what do i use in the transmission ? My transmission is slipping Are there plates tobe changed w

"Greg,

I am not sure what m

"Greg,

I am not sure what model transmission you have, but the Gray Maintenance Manual says the following regarding hydraulic reverse gears:
<BLOCKQUOTE><HR SIZE=0><!-Quote-!><FONT SIZE=1>Quote:</FONT>

Use Automatic Transmission Oil Type "A", Suffix "A". SAE 30 engine oil may be used in an emergency.<!-/Quote-!><HR SIZE=0></BLOCKQUOTE>"

Jeff C.:

The Model 70 was:

Jeff C.:

The Model 70 was:
<UL>[*]70HP [*]4 cylinder [*]3400 RPM [*]162 cid</LI>[/list]

I don't know what years... but it shows up in a 1961 index that I have.

" HEY Guys,

This may be a d

" HEY Guys,

This may be a dumb question but...does the transmission have a individual oil fill access or does the crankcase oil serve a dual purpose?

Thanks Jeff "

" hello out there i just acqui

" hello out there i just acquired a 1957 higgins w/ a gray marine model 70 what kind of trans mission is this? also any tips on startindg after long storage period. boat has been sitting a long time,but the crank case is full of black oil of a passable viscosity,it has since been changed thnks tom "

Back