Logo

Crusader 270 fuel problems

malcolm

" I have a 32' Trojan with

" I have a 32' Trojan with twin Crusader 270s (350CI small block chevy) Over the weekend while running at about 2800rpm, the starboard engine stalled and we smelled gasoline so I shut the port engine down as well. There was a strong odor of gasoline in the bilge. So, after being towed home, I checked every single fuel hose, fitting and connection. I could not find any evidence of a fuel leak or any gasoline anywhere except in the bilge, neither could a mechanic I hired. I first thought the needle valve on carb on the starboard engine was stuck and flooded the engine which would explain the loss of power, but not the gasoline in the bilge because it is a marine carburetor; (Rochester quadrajet) and has a plastic line from the float bowl to the fuel pump. I then thought the fuel pump was the culprit, but if the fuel pump diaphram was ruptured, there would be gasoline in the oil and there isn't. Both engines start and run fine now with no sign of fuel leaking. I have worked on automotive versions of this engine for over thirty years but I am at my wits end. "

" My guess is that while under

" My guess is that while underway, there was a condition that is not present now, such as vibration or a pounding sea. This could have caused a small rupture in a fuel line of fitting and is not showing up at the dock. Again only a guess. Is it possible for some one to take helm and have you watch engines while duplicating last w/e conditions? Good luck, and post your findings, as Im curious to the cause. Another thought, could you have ruptured a fuel tank, that leaked into bilge and the reason the engine quit was loss of fuel to carb? Maybe vibration hung up a float for a minute or two? "

" Thanks for the input. At the

" Thanks for the input. At the time of the event we were running about 20 knots in relatively calm seas with no pounding. The fuel tanks are not leaking, else I would have had almost 100 gallons of fuel in the bilge instead of a quart or two. I suspect carburetor float problems for the engine problem but the gasoline in the bilge is a real mystery. I may have to try a pressure test of the entire fuel system. "

" I had this happen to me this

" I had this happen to me this past summer. The culprit was the fuel/water seperator. They were the oem-type metal cannisters with an internal filter. One of them just had a 3/8" split at the top of the cannister (where it screwed in), which was enough to make the entire bilge smell like fuel. Easy replace. "

Back