Logo

Inboard starters

tomway

If an incorect rotation start

If an incorect rotation starter is installed on a 350/5.7 inboard engine and starting is attempted will the engine fill with water?

" No, it shouldn't.... Un

" No, it shouldn't.... Unless there are other Issues involved.... "

" Tommy,

If you have a &#34

" Tommy,

If you have a "wet" exhaust system and spin the engine backwards you have now created a huge waterpump. You will suck water from the ocean/lake/river and pump it out through the carburator.

Karl "

"Tom,

I Don't really u

"Tom,

I Don't really understand the extent of your questioning.........

OF COURSE, It's Never GOOD to turn the engine over Backwards....... It will NOT start Anyway.... you'll be spinning the waterpumps Backwards, Which Will tear-up the impellers...... And, they Won't pump any water in to the risers, so the water Can't enter the motor THAT way......the manifolds are full of water, but it doesn't enter the exhaust stream till the End of the risers.... IF you cranked it Long Enough, YA, you Maybe able to pull water from the exhaust exits.. But you'll have to crank awhile.....

It Would Be MUCH Easier to just Bench Test the Starter, BEFORE you mount It........

MOST engines Today All turn the Same Way.... reverse-rotation is acheived in the gearing.... other than stating it's a small block chevy, Your Details are Abit Thin.....

WHY Do You THINK It's Turning Backwards ????? WHAT'S The Problem ????? Lets Have a Little History..... WHAT Boat is it IN ??? What drive ???

YOU'VE Got To Help Me, SO I Can Help You......

PS...... I've also posted this on the board.... When you want to ask a Quest.... Please include a link to the post in question, so I can Know What the Hell I'm Talking about......... Thanks Bondo

On this engine the exhaust manifolds hold water and are located above the heads. With incorrect rotation without ignition, could water come in through the exhaust valves?
Tom
----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Sunday, February 02, 2003 10:54 AM
Subject: info

By Karl on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 08:00 am: Edit

Tommy,

If you have a "wet" exhaust system and spin the engine backwards you have now created a huge waterpump. You will suck water from the ocean/lake/river and pump it out through the carburator."

" Please understand that it do

" Please understand that it does not take "...IF you cranked it Long Enough, YA, you Maybe able to pull water from the exhaust exits.. But you'll have to crank awhile....." to fill the engine up with water. Look at it this way (I'm not suggesting you actually do this, there are some safety issues with this): Crank a V8 in the correct direction of rotation and put the palm of your hand over the carb opening. A lot of vacuum - right ? Now.. rotate the engine (with an incorrect starter) in the opposite direction. The vacuum that you experienced in experiment #1 is now applied to the exhaust side of the motor. This side has a direct connection with the ocean/lake/river AND the engines cooling system. The engine will pull whatever water is present in the engines cooling system via the risers and it will pull water from the from the ocean/lake/river into the cylinders. Within a few revolutions the cylinders will be full enough with water so that you will start to bend connecting rods (water can not be compressed). Depending on engine model and camshaft design you may also start to discharge this water through the carb.

I have never heard of the wrong direction STARTER being installed but the same scenario applies when a motor "diesels" backwards at shut-down (due to low octane fuel, incorrect timing, etc.) and from experience I know that in many cases it only takes a couple of revolutions to fill a motor up.

Karl "

Back