Logo

Hicks 8 HP water jacket cracks

B

Bob Kelly

" Have my 8 HP Hicks mounted o

" Have my 8 HP Hicks mounted on an trailer and running great. This engine shows very little wear but the outside of the cylinder has three cracks in it. When I purchased the Hicks in Nov of 2002 the piston was stuck (sleeve collapsed). Removed the piston and had the sleeve reamed so that part works fine. However, the three cracks are continuing at an alarming rate. One has grown about 4 inches in three months. Have V cut the cracks and drilled the ends but the cracks continue. Have water in the engine now at all times but it seeps out through the cracks. Can live with the cracks as they do not affect the engines performance but would like to make it water tight. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help you may send my way.
Bob Kelly--Lompoc, CA "

" I have repaired cast iron bl

" I have repaired cast iron blocks before by welding with nickel rod, and then burying in sand for a slow cool . However I guess that you want a fix without a teardown. Perhaps some of the epoxy repair systems available thru a good auto parts store (NAPA is my favorite). Maybe someone else out there will chime in. Good luck and post your results. Kim "

" Hello Kim,
I opened up the

" Hello Kim,
I opened up the water jacket and it appears that the bottom 5 inches is somewhat filled with rust I am just going to close it back up and live with the problem. The only way I see to remove this hardened rust that is expanding at the bottom of the water jacket would be to remove the cylinder again and drill up from the bottom of the water jacket to remove the packed rust. Thanks again for the input.
Bob Kelly--Lompoc, CA "

Back