Logo

Twin 94 ocean runners and cheap oil

marcell

Ive got a 25' Grady White

Ive got a 25' Grady White Dolphin w/ twin 175 ocean runners. I bought the boat used back in April from an eighty eighty year old man who had bought the boat to take his grandchildren on boat rides. The engines had 72 hours and ran like sewing machines. Since then I have put around 300 hrs on the motors and name brand oil was really puttin' a hurtin' on my wallet burning three gallons a day at twenty dollars a gallon. So about mid summer I starting using Wal-mart oil (6 bucks) twenty hours later my port engine locked up. Is it just s--t luck or is there really that big a difference in the name brand and the generic?

I use the Penzoil Marine synt

I use the Penzoil Marine synthetic mix (not the expensive pure synthetic stuff); so far so good and it's much cheaper than the factory.

Jon

Do you think the cheap oil ha

Do you think the cheap oil had anything to do with the engine locking up?

OK. I just pulled the heads

OK. I just pulled the heads and sure enough one of the cylinders is shot. I've been a mercury man all my life this is the first OMC product I have ever owned. When I pulled the head I notice there are sleeves. Would it be better to replace the sleeve itself or bore it out. Cost difference? Any advice is appreciated.

" As far as did it cause the p

" As far as did it cause the problem? I really doubt it. By the look of the Penzoil, I think it's them same stuff that merc put out for years. If you've got an engine that has a synthetic lube recomended or a fuel injected model - I would go with what they call for. I say that becaue some really modern engine's might depend on a different oil. What you have is straight carbs and not much different than the first VRO setup that came out in the mid-80's.

I can't help on the sleeves, there's definitly a standard way to do it. It probably depends on how bad it's scored, and if they can be replaced etc... With my merc, you couldn't just remove the sleeves. Replacing sleeves could make for a factory spec. rebuild though. Get a book to reference and re-post with the new question - some one will definitly have a good answer for you.

Jon "

"Marcell;
For best results u

"Marcell;
For best results use the lubricants specified by the engine manufacturer !!! A fuel problem ie.restricted fuel supply or an air leak into the fuel supply WILL cause the vro to over oil.A seperate fuel supply starting at the fuel tank pickup through filter,primer bulb etc.to each engine is REQUIRED.If you continue to use "Brand X" oils go premix at 50:1 ratio {[email protected]}"

" I thought sleeves meant an e

" I thought sleeves meant an easier rebuild as you don not have to rebore the cylinders. Redirectr this question to Joe Reeves. If he can't help you, try calling Bombardier and asking them if they can help. $20 a gallon is very steep for TCW-3. I get the OMC standard oil in my own container for $11 per gallon. Ficht Ram oil is only a little more expensive. With any oil or fuel injected engine, it pays not to buy the cheap crap. The people that are getting away with gas station/Wal-Mart TCW-3 are mostly using premix 50:1. The inferior quality oils will tear up injection systems. "

"Marcell.... Although I recomm

"Marcell.... Although I recommend using the brand oil that a manufactuer suggests, it's very unlikely that the off brand oil damaged your engine. If the engine failure was due to a poor quality oil, the entire engine would be affected, not just one cylinder.

Having one cylinder fail would be caused by a fouled carburetor resulting in a lean mixture within that cylinder, a ignition problem related to that particular cylinder, a head gasket failing which might allow a water spray enter that cylinder, something of that nature.

Pertaining to oversize boring or re-sleeving, any reliable machine shop that does outboard work could handle either project. I do not recommend oversize boring over .040 though. If the scoring is deeper than that, have the cylinder resleeved.

Joe
"

Thanks for everyone's inp

Thanks for everyone's input.
Jdkline- One gallon of OMC oil in my container at our marina is 18.99 a gallon. Wal-mart price is 18.49. Maybe I could send you some money and...!

Joe- After getting everything tore down yesterday it appears that the head gasket (o ring) was bad and I got a cylinder full of salt-water. I was told by a local outboard motor mechanic yesterday that resleeving would be much more expensive. Resleeving sounds like the best option to me. Would it really make a difference in reliability in the long run? Thanks

"Marcell.... I'm not aware

"Marcell.... I'm not aware of what the charges are at the present time but I can quote the bore/re-sleeve prices of a few years past for comparision.

Charges by the dealership for boring were $40.00 per cylinder. Re-sleeving one cylinder was approximately $200.00. Either choice is okay but re-sleeving would alow you to use a standard, rather than a oversize piston.

Joe
"

" The early production 60-degr

" The early production 60-degree OMC V-6's occaisionally would develop an internal crack in the block next to the exhaust plenum dumping water into one of the portside cylinders thereby locking-up the motor. Rare, but I've seen it a couple of times. "

I'm looking for parts to

I'm looking for parts to the engine of a 1976 175hp OMC sterndrive. It is a Ford V8 302. The model number is 990230A. It has selectrim. I require a new oil pan among other things. If anyone knows of where I could get one or what can be used as a replacement. Please let me know.

Shawn

Back