Logo

Montgomery Ward Seaking 2 HP

B

Brian Siverns

" I have obtained a 2 hp Seaki

" I have obtained a 2 hp Seaking which looks like it was made 80 years ago. On what's left of the deceal is Montgomery Ward SeaKingon top of the gas tank, "2 Break Horse Power" plus more unreadable print on the sides of the tank. The serial number is stamped on the block and is #W7768. Also T3 is cast in the block. Could someone help me date this and obtain any info available. It has been in my wife's family for many many years.
Thanks "

"Brian,

Peter Hunn's bo

"Brian,

Peter Hunn's book THE OLD OUTBOARD BOOK has a couple of pages of information on the Montgomery Ward SeaKing. Motors were made for MW by a variety of major motor manufactures including Evinrude, Muncie, Cedarburg Mfg Co, Gale, etc. From the model number information in the book I can't tell the date of manufacture of your engine. The earliest numbers they seem to list for the SeaKing seem to be 1939.

Maybe someone else that is familiar with SeaKing can help.

Regards,
Andrew"

" This Sea King sounds like po

" This Sea King sounds like possibly one of the first ones made by Thor Company and were returned in droves to MW. They had a rectangular tank behind the fly wheel. Karl Kiekiekhaver in 1938/9 , the founder of Mercury Marine was able with some rework and redesign to get them running and sell them back to MW. That was the start of Mercury. If you can post or send me a picture I might be able to identify it positively. "

Back