Logo

1968 OMC electric shift outdrive Need testing info maybe service

jerry

" I bought an old Slickcraft &

" I bought an old Slickcraft (1968) in beautiful condition. Motor runs,outdrive trims and the prop turns. I don't have any way of testing the motor's running for any extended period of time because nobody makes a water tester for this lower unit. How do I hook it up to water? What do I look for in the lower unit to check for problems? I am in the Chicago area and would like to have it checked out reasonably. "

" Jerry, At the top of the

" Jerry, At the top of the stern drive unit, is there a hose coupling where you can connect a garden hose? I know on mine, I have the coupling and can run my engine for some time. Before running the unit, I would suggest you drain the lower unit, get the oil recommended by OMC for electric shift units, install new oil, change engine oil and filter, then start engine assuming ignition and fuel system is in working condition. "

" As Gary says you either have

" As Gary says you either have a side cap with a garden hose fitting, or you can purchase one at your local OMC dealer. With this you can run the unit at home. As far as lower end? Without hooking to water and running; 1. Open lower oil screw. Is oil clean and not burnt, or milky? If burnt, (usually dark and smelly), take it to a shop as you probably have a bearing problam. If milky,your seals are shot. 2. With prop clear turn ignition key to the on position position and put the shift/throttle lever into the forward position. Take hold of the prop and try to turn it in reverse. It should be locked up. Now put the throttle lever in the reverse position then try to turn the prop forward. It should lock up. With either test, if the prop turns freely either the forward or reverse spring may be broken and possibly both hub and spring need replacing. Could also be the forward or revverse coil. *** If oil is clean and gears lock up tight..happy cruising. And you need Type "C" gear lube for that bottom end*** "

Back